1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non binary and scared of voicecrack

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by idekhonestly, Dec 17, 2014.

1. idekhonestly

hey guys!

ok, so recently I discovered that I'm kinda non binary?? but to the masculine side, like, i use he/him and they/them as my pronouns rn. (assigned female at birth)

now i really want to start on low dose testorsterone, just to feel a bit more in between the genders. my only problem is, I don't want my voice to go super low, in fact, I just want it a tiny bit deeper, so that I can still talk with a slightly feminine voice if I want to, but I'm super scared of getting to the point where my voice starts to crack.
    I mean, once it starts cracking, it won't stop till it has gotten even lower pitched, will it? I'm so scared of getting to that point and then either walk around with my voice cracking for the rest of my life, or having to get my voice even deeper, which I don't want.
    Got any advice? Will the crack go away by itself even if I stop on testorsterone, or...?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

If you take testosterone and you develop a low voice, I'm pretty sure it won't go away even if you stop taking testosterone. Be careful about starting T if you wouldn't be happy with all the side effects, some of them are permanent.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You cannot pick and choose the effects that you would like to have on T. So, it is something that you will need to think about. You always could train your voice, but there would still be a period where your voice cracks and drops.

4. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you completely stop taking T there will be irreversible things, and a lower voice is one of them. And you also mentioned that you would like to start a low dose and, I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that the amount of T you take does nothing but delay the changes. You're still going to get all the effects a person taking a normal dose would, it's just going to be a slower process.

5. idekhonestly

I do know that the low voice is irreversible, but the thing is I don't want it to go THAT deep, so I'd probaly just be on a low dose for 2-3 months. I'm just scared to get stuck where my voice cracks like crazy. I do wish to get a deeper voice, just not as extremely deep as most other people like for example most FTMs.