1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camhs and gender therapist search (in the closet as ftm)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 19, 2014.

1. I'm_Danni_x

Hey guys,
    I'm an outpatient at Camhs (children and adolescents mental health services) in the UK and I've been discussing issues with my counsellor about self harm, mood and coping skills etc. In the first couple of sessions I've discussed my feeling about my gender with her and noticed that she's not that trained in trans* issues and because I've only got three more sessions left with her, should I ask her if she can refer me to a gender therapist, but I'm not really sure as I don't even think there are any gender clinics in the area.
    What should I do?

2. Mischief

Mischief Guest

My counsellor actually referred me to another counsellor on her own account who was also working at CAMHS to speak to, so she could approve of sending a letter to a gender diversity clinic. It's definitely worth asking.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your mood and the self harming is closely connected to your gender it would certainly be worth mentioning, otherwise all of the work you have done with your counsellor to date could unravel. I'm not saying it will (and hopefully not), but it could.

5. Alive

Yes you should ask her to refer you to a gender therapist. My situation has been similar to yours. I've been receiving outpatient treatment for selfharm, suicidal thoughts, mood, and coping skills. This particular therapist running this program is not the most aware of trans topics either. Most therapists/counselors know other ones in the area and can probably find one that kniws more about gender. Mine gave me contact information for other therapists in my area with a speciality in LGBT topics.
    I wish you luck :slight_smile: