1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmmzy, Dec 21, 2014.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agghhhh I'm in a bit of a mess here..

So I've been playing this game online for a couple of weeks now and (naturally) I'm playing as a female character. Now here's where the problem comes in.

I met this guy on there and he sems really nice and stuff but I'm worried that as we get closer he'll want to meet on other things like Facebook or even in person (he was telling me how he flies here often for vacations, etc.). Obviously when he finds out who I am he's going to to get really angry and it could be pretty bad..

What do you guys think I should do in this situation???

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

As far as disclosure, generally the rule is, the sooner the better. Better you know now how he'll react before you start contacting him outside of the game before you eventually meet in person and possibly end up in a dangerous situation.

Sure, he might be nice now but unless he can accept you for who you are, it's not worth it. There are better guys out there who will actually accept you for being you and it's better not to waste your time on someone who won't.

But he may prove you wrong- but even if he is accepting, it's better just to be open upfront if you feel this is going to lead anywhere.

3. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice.. =) I'll let him know next time we're both online.

4. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Theres an acronym that made the rounds in WoW several years ago.

G.I.R.L. -- Guy In Real Life. Most but not all who play female characters turn out to be male, not always but mostly. That said, if you identify as trans-fem, then just be up front about it, he may already have reasonable expectation that you are in reality male-bodied.

#4 Dinah, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I often think about that, he has recently started refering to me as "babe" and "girl" online. Maybe he's testing me or something, idk really. Either way, thanks for that. It helps me get over it a little. =)

6. shinji

shinji Guest

I question why you two would even consider meeting if you don't know each other that well in the first place. There are far greater risks attached to this, than him simply knowing your gender. Does this person even deserve to be informed of anything personal relating to you, considering your current "relationship" and the way you communicate?