1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adrogyne/Adrogynous

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 23, 2014.

1. I'm_Danni_x

Can anyone please explain to me what Androgyne is? How Many of you identify as androgynous? If you do, are you more of an androgynous female or androgynous male? I'm not very educated about androgyne/androgynous people and want to know more.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Tinykc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as andro (In the sense of a gender expression.) I guess it can be taken a few different ways, such as a gender identity but ive found it to be more common as a gender expression. (sorry, did that make any sense at all?) Usually it means in the middle between masculine and feminine but different people take it different ways, I guess!

Here's how Wiki describes it:
    Androgyny is the combination of masculine and feminine characteristics. Sexual ambiguity may be found in fashion, gender identity, sexual identity, or sexual lifestyle.

Anyways, hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

4. I'm_Danni_x

Thanks girls that's really cleared things up :slight_smile:
    Btw is it possible to be a female (identity as female) with an androgynous gender expression? (If that even makes sense).

#4 I'm_Danni_x, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  5. Manta

Sure! Just like you can be a bio female, have a female gender identity and a masculine gender expression.

6. I'm_Danni_x

Oh great! That's what I am, I guess I'll have to update my gender identity now. I've been confused for so long and I've finally found my answer. Thank you

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  8. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    See, I'm having a little trouble with this, too. I'm male, but I'd like to start dressing more feminine-- does that cunt as being androgynous? Or, is it something different? (Maybe I have t make a separate thread for it?)

What do you guys think? Can males be androgynous too? I mean, even if they don't have feminine features physically?

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at some clothing and hairstyles for men and women and look for something in the middle...

You might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/161868-interested-cross-dressing.html

You might try unisex or women's trousers... or sweaters... maybe one or two sizes bigger...

(*hug*)

10. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've been thinking about that. A fiend of mine wants to take me shopping relatively soon, possibly as an early birthday present. I'm excited, but fearful it won't work out because of my body type. :bang:

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might give thrift shops a try.
    There might be something there you like.

Clothings are sometimes not sorted by gender, and people often don't notice as much as in other shops.
    :slight_smile:

12. I'm_Danni_x

Would you consider 'topman' as a thrift shop? I really don't know what thrift shops are.

13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Shops for used clothing. Some have also new clothing. I'd look for reputable stores, they often have a nice selection.

14. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Androgyne is a word that describes someone whose gender identity is non-binary and who feels on the inside both male and female, or neither. The word androgynous, on the other hand, is mainly used to describe one's looks/expression.
    It happens that people who look androgynous are not necessarily androgynes (and not all androgynes look androgynous) so e.g. a male can be androgynous too.

15. monome

I think both males and females can be androgynes (feel somewhere inbetween) and look androgynous (presenting male and female elements, at once or for different occasions).

Androgynes do not always dress/look androgynous
    And people looking/dressing/behaving androgynous can be cis males of females.

This is all perfectly possible.

You can try to mix styles or looks. It's generally a lot easier for girls, as a girl in a suit will be seen as someone with a particular fashon. It's not the same with, say, boy in a dress (there we have a lot more to catch-up) but it is changing, and you can also strive for more unisex styles