1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting rid of old clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bluerain, Dec 25, 2014.

1. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've begun to donate some of my "girl" clothes that I'm not comfortable in and it's got me feeling little strange. I feel like I should be (figuratively) putting them in a bonfire and cheering but I don't feel that way. Part of me doesn't even want to get rid of them even though I don't and wouldn't wear them. I don't like the fact that I'm holding onto them and its making me question my entire identity. How have other people felt about getting rid of their old things?

2. Minnie

Months ago I was going to donate loads of my old girl clothes, but when I got to the charity shop I wanted to not give them away. It might just be an attachment thing, or maybe even nerves about making the change?

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I donated all of my old girly clothes. I have to admit there was something sad about getting rid of them, like killing any chance I had at being the girl my parents wanted me to be. But I was glad to be rid of them overall, because I was never going to wear them again and I wanted them to go to someone who needed them.

4. flatlander48

Yes, I think that is how it works out: that realization that there is no going backward, only forward. I would think that whenever you approach a boundary between one part of your life and another, there will likely be some sort of internal conflict. There is a part of us that always wants to remain in the Known part of our lives but that can lead to not moving on and discovering where we need to be and what we need to be doing.

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it's like if you had a childhood teddy bear, even though you aren't going to use that teddy bear and you have changed since childhood you still don't want to let it go. Before I went to college I told myself I would give away all the clothes I don't wear anymore no matter how much I wanted to keep them. Someone who needs these clothes can enjoy them. It felt better in the end knowing now I just had a wardrobe to fit my desire to dress more masculine.

#5 DarkWolf, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never felt that attachment. The only resentment I felt toward getting rid of my clothes were that there were perfectly good clothes that I barely wore, so I didn't really get my money's worth. Otherwise, good riddance.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It felt great to get rid of the old stuff, especially since they brought back old memories of high school. The only thing that bugged me was having my stuff sent to the Salvation Army.

8. wanderinggirl

Try Goodwill! :slight_smile:

I'm getting rid of my skinny jeans but also my guy pants that don't fit me right. This year i will pay attention to fit and not just grab the first thing that covers my impulsive butt.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My thoughts here. They are actually gathering dust, in the hope I can arrange an exchange with a transgirl, but I'm going to get rid of them next month anyways. No emotional attachment at all, I only feel dyphoric when I touch them.

I only regret the money I spent on clothes I never wore. A complete waste of money.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

I found it very difficult to part with my old clothes and jewellery. On one hand, I couldn't bear seeing seem or even knowing that they were there, hidden away inside my chest of drawers. On the other hand, I was very sad to let go of the person I used to be and that included the clothes and jewellery I used to wear. It brought about mixed emotions; sadness, anger, resentment, liberation.

My advice would be don't feel you have to get rid of stuff if you don't want to. Forget about gender. It doesn't matter if it's pink or girly. I had this fixation with getting rid of everything I owned from 'before' but my counsellor helped me see that it's ok to keep them. I have kept a whole pile of my girl clothes which I have put away for safe keeping. I'll never wear them again but they remind me of who I used to be and they have some really happy memories attached to them. The clothes that were less meaningful and that I wore during the figuring out stage I sent to charity. All they reminded me of was dysphoria and the emotional turmoil I went through coming to terms with being trans.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's where I've been wanting all my stuff to go for about two years now, and only a chunk has gone there. Oh well.