1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birth names are like strangers to me now...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JustJJx, Dec 26, 2014.

1. JustJJx

First i was *shudder* John, then JJ as a nickname 99% of people call me and now i want to go by Blythe...my room-mates call me Blythe and you lovely people do too, but being home for xmas for a week everyone calls me John! It just feels weird and it feels like they are talking to someone else...baring through the discomfort is all i can do, but i just wanted to know how everyone else feels about their birth names?

Obviously some people have different levels of Dysphoria, and everyone is an individual...just curious! Also *huggles for all*

2. WyldStyle

When I went to college I decided to change my name to something similar yet different from my birth name. Mainly because I didn't like being addressed on a last name basis, as no one knew how to say my last name right.

I suppose since my male life and female life are seperate, I don't really see an issue being addressed by birth name. But then again I don't mind being the gender of my birth name either.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I think my birth name is a pretty cool name, I just wish it wasn't mine. In some ways it feels weird and disconnected from me, but I'm also used to it because literally everyone I know calls me that.

4. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have hated my name long before I realized I was transgender. Though it is only now that I realize I want a more masculine name that would better fit me. I plan to have it legally changed (just my first name) at some point. But I know that my family will probably always refer to me as my birth name since it is what they are use to.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always hated my birth name, and every other option my parents would have named me. I resented it way more when I came out, and it makes me to puke my guts out. It's gross and reeks of white trash. I hate talking about it, but think about the trashy name conversation scene in Ted; and you'll get an idea as to what I was marked with.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My given name is a positively lovely name. It's just not mine.

Most of my friends just call me by my last name (some of them know it's because it's more comfortable gender-wise, but a lot just think it's because my first name is so common that it gets confusing). I'd probably rather go by Jesse, though.

I'm in the same position as you right now: I'm home for the holidays, everyone is calling me by my given name, and it's incredibly uncomfortable.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate my birth name, but I don't really hear it anymore. It's not on my cards since I changed it and the people I met in my new city don't know I'm trans (I'm stealth, mostly). Though, on the rare occasion that I hear it (modifying something at the government), it makes me very uncomfortable.

Before I my name was legal, I said that my birth name was like referring to a ghost. They were trying to talk to someone who never existed. Someone who only hold place in their mind. Someone told me once : ''But, I knew «birth name».'' No, you thought you knew me, but you were wrong. This person was not me, it was no one.

8. JustJJx

That's how I feel a lot of the time aye, hope things are going well for you!

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really hate my birthname, in fact its may dad's name too so I'm pretty fond of it because he's such an awesome caring guy. I can really only associate the name with good things... That said though, I don't think I've ever liked it as a name for myself... Not because I didn't think it suited me exactly... I don't know that I thought much about the gender of my name... More because it IS my dad's name... I feel sometimes like when I use that name I don't have my own identity, in fact it feels like I'm pretending to be someone else... To remedy this I often used my middle name around family and nicknames around friends.... My favorite being Rick... but I've come up with more nicknames than I can remember and so have friends. Neko was my first attempt to go by something gender neutral (leaning feminine) and has replaced rick for me all together. I even had my badge for this convention I staff called MAGfest printed Nekoko instead of Rick this year! ^^ Which confused the hell out of my friend.... I may have to explain it to him before the trip... But yeah, I don't hate my birthname, it's just that its my dad's name, not mine...

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never really hated my name, I just never saw it as mine. My old name was more common than this name. If somebody calls me it now, I usually look at them confused since I am not called I'm that name much anymore.