1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a name, some help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JacobZ, Dec 27, 2014.

1. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So, I've been thinking about my name. I know I'm going to change it(not now, but next year probably). I've been thinking about names that I like, made a list and "shortened" it(it's still quite long). I can't use names ending in "Son" (because that's how my last name ends), nor middle names ending in "N" (that's how my last name starts). This is my current list:
    Jacob
    Jacques
    Levi
    Andrew
    Conner
    Alphonse
    Roy
    Matthew
    Alec [Not as a nickname but as a name]
    Josiah
    Patrick
    Ethan
    I'm kinda trying to choose a first and middle name from my list, but I'm finding it difficult and need some help.You can suggest any other name you like.

Thanks!:newcolor::icon_mrgr

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ethan sounds nice...
    you might have a look here:
    Names
    You don't have to set you apart like they say on the website,if you like a name...

If in doubt, you might look up the meaning of names...

3. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks!:icon_bigg I'll take a look at the webpage and look up the meanings

4. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I second Ethan!

5. I like Ethan too:slight_smile: I think it means like wise and enduring or something.

6. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks!:slight_smile: I also like Ethan, and was thinking of it as a first name. What do you guys think as a middle name?

7. Mischief

Mischief Guest

You need to think about how well your new first/middle name go with your last name, it took me FOREVER to choose something that actually sounded decent. I can't really suggest a name, because I usually go by how someone looks and their personality. But Alec is my favourite out of them all. :3

8. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just a thought, if you last name ends in -son, would Ethan really work as a first name? Some people like semi-rhyming names like that, but others find it odd-sounding.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, you're already using Jacob as your handle on here, so you've become somewhat used to it. It could be either your first or middle name: Matthew Jacob Anderson (or whatever -son that last name is, I just put one to get a feel for the meter)

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I like Jacob and Alec

11. I am Kakashi

Jacob, Levi, and Ethan are all on my list of possible son's names (Actually Jacob as first, Levi as second lol) I also like Andrew, because like Jacob, there is at least one other nickname/ shortened version written in. :slight_smile:

I'm also a fan of Alexander (Alex, Lex, and Xander in there), and Christopher (Chris and Topher) just in general. But having so many potential nicknames in there could be bad, it'll be hard enough getting everyone to use a completely different name, having multiple versions being used by people may be way confusing.

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

as people get to know you they will usually use the nickname that you prefer. I had three friends whose legal name was Christine, and I knew to call one Christine, the other Chris and the other Christy. just their preferences, and one always wants to call someone by the name that they want. One thing to think about with the two names is how they sound together. you can have two names that are both great by themselves, but together don't sound so good, just like your concern about the name going with the -son surname.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget, if you don't want to stand out, it's a good idea to make sure your name fits with your age, so I just quickly compiled this list for you of where your list ranks for baby boys born in the 1990s per the US Social Security Administration, and where it ranks in the UK for 1998 (That's gotta be about right since your profile says you are 16)

Code:
    Name	         Social Security rank - Boys names 1990s	UK top 100 for 1998
    Jacob	         5	                                                27
    Jacques	Not in top 200, Jake is 114	                        Similar to Jake - #22
    Levi	           164	                                                Not ranked
    Andrew	     7	                                                      40
    Conner	Not in top 200, but Connor is 67	                  Conor is 56
    Alphonse	Not in top 200	                                     Not ranked
    Roy	         Not in top 200	                                     Not ranked
    Matthew	3	                                                            6
    Alec	         137	                                              Not ranked
    Josiah	Not in top 200	                                          Not ranked
    Patrick	42    	                                                             66
    Ethan	          55	                                                      47

14. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, pay attention to your initials. E.g. it's not advisable when one's initials forms DIE or something like that, a negative meaning I think. Also, you can check your name with a name numerology calculator, there are few on the Internet. Btw I like Ethan too. :icon_wink