1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on clothes shopping?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DarkWolf, Dec 27, 2014.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I always feel uncomfortable when I go clothes shopping because I want to migrate over to the men's section but then I worry about me passing. I have thought about doing online shopping but I am not sure if I should do that when I am not too sure about my size. I have measured myself so I have an idea. I just hope I can find some clothing that fits (though I don't have much of a figure so I am not too worried). There is only so much androgynous clothing in the women's section that I like.

#1 DarkWolf, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. WyldStyle

Just go for it! People care a lot less than you would think. Especially at this time of you. People will think you're still buying someone a present. Cashiers at stores see so many people buying gifts for others that it's all the same to them. You shouldn't worry about what gender you look like when you're looking for clothes. Because in reality, the person who cares the most about what you're doing, is you.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it! I'm not sure where you're from, but people here tend to keep to themselves and aren't rude and nosy. I thought that too, especially when I was shopping for my first dress shirt and pair of boxers. I had no problems at all. The only question I was asked by an employee was if I needed help with anything.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Working in retail, there are not many people that will say something about someone shopping in the male section. One of the best ways that you can find what fits is to try things on. Even if you are not passing, there are women that shop in the men's section, so I doubt that you would have any problems. Just act natural, and you shouldn't have any problems :slight_smile:

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate the confidence boost for shopping in the men's section. I have just heard a few stories online about transgender and non-binary folks being criticized for shopping in the "wrong" section.

Collared shirts and ties here I come.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on the customers present there, I've come to the conclusion that in many department stores, there isn't actually a mens section. There's the womens sections (most of the store) and the unisex section (often labeled mens)

7. whereamigoing

I don't know about you guys but i was at a mall on the 26th and at H and M and i saw like 3 transgenderwomen shopping in the women's department and no one was even bothering them. the clerks even asked "do you need anything maam?" and i live in the bible belt. we are in rapidly progressive times my friend. go buy some boxer briefs and ties!

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is the truth as well. I also sometimes have male presenting people that will buy women's clothing (I wear a rainbow wristband and a necklace with the trans symbol, so a lot of people will gravitate to me since they know I'll understand). That does not happen as often as female presenting people buying men's clothing though.

9. Centore

Centore Guest

Dang, and I came to this thread expecting fashion advice. I was prepared to make an awesome song about how to get clothes that look good on you...wow, I really am half-gay.

People probably won't bother you if you shop in the men's section. They either won't notice, notice but won't care, or think you're buying gifts.

#9 Centore, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    These days I go straight to the unisex section, as Confuzzled82 brilliantly called it, and I don't give a damn anymore. There is to my knowledge no law against it, and I can't go to the women's section anyways -get too dysphoric.

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I may be weird but I don't truly understand why someone should worry shopping in the "opposite sex" section. It's just clothes, not a sex-shop, right? And if someone had a problem with that I'd tell them I can spend my money elsewhere.

12. WyldStyle

I couldn't agree with you more!

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

the merchant just wants your money, and doesn't care what section you shop in. but if you are getting anxiety about it, that is a different matter; and in that case, I would just tell the clerk that you are going to be in a play, and you need to get some clothes that will be convincing for you to be in the role of a male detective, or some such thing. that might actually make it easier for them to visualize the look that you are going for.

14. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    You could always give me fashion advice anyway. My "fashion sense" only goes as far as wearing the same five basic outfits with the same shoes.

15. I am Kakashi

THIS IS MY BIBLE :grin: The FtMs Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a Dude.
    The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude <3

There isn't really a section on how to go into a store and not be a nervous fool, BUT after reading it (like 6 times) I felt much more confident that I would be able to go into a store and already have an idea of where to start.

Also, I have social anxiety anyway, so before going to a clothing store, especially if I had never been there, or it had been more than a few months, I go online, and get a feel for their clothing. Look at their size guides online to make an educated guess at what my size would be, what styles I liked, etc. That way when I go in, I can beeline, pick out things I already know and recognize, make quick work of trying stuff on, then get the heck outta there. (Which is seen as a common male trait anyway lol).

Hope that helped. :slight_smile: I haven't actually bought any guy/ unisex stuff in a brick and mortar store, but that's basically because I am waiting for money to buy a binder first. ^_^