1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my 8-year-old cousin?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmmzy, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright so it won't happen for a while but I just thought about what I would do about my little cousin. Now I know, "kids usually handle things better than they're given credit for". What I'm worried about is how he looks up to me and stuff. My ("step") grandfather passed away a few months ago and my cousin was devastated. (To clarify, this is also my "step" cousin.) My mom told me how I'm the only "man-figure" to him now (go figure!) and it's true he looks up to me as an older brother almost and I feel like it would ruin him to find out that's not the case.. Any ideas? :help:

2. Manta

The things he'd want to come to you for advice about you'd probably still be able to answer, even as he becomes an adolescent.

The important thing in my opinion would be to emphasize that you aren't making yourself less than what you were (perceived male) but more by being true to yourself. At that age I think gendering and stereotypes can be very strong. The age of cooties and macho-ness. So I think the main thing will probably be teaching him that girls are just as awesome and strong (and fun to play with) as boys.