1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First a Girl, Now a Boy... Wish I Were Still a Girl?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nikinja, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Nikinja

Hi everyone. A year and a half ago, I posted this thread:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/97770-teenage-gender-confusion.html

Now, junior year was definitely a time where I was more comfortable thinking of myself as a girl than as a boy. But now, I feel like a boy, and I've felt more and more like one over the past six months. But I wish I felt like a girl again. No one takes my trans status seriously anymore and I still haven't transitioned. Is there a reason why I feel this way? Should I just accept myself as male and move on? But then girls will treat me differently. I just wish I were a girl so I could be happy the way I want to be happy. At least that's how I have assessed the situation. But I could be wrong... if I'm cis (or probably cis), please tell me though. I don't want to be lied to.

Another thing: I've also had a long history of being genderfluid/genderqueer (as early as seventh grade I contemplated being bigender; since early childhood I've been someone who didn't get why gender had to be so cut-and-dry).

Can I just transition already?

Ergh...

#1 Nikinja, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Only you can know what you are. Go with what feels like truly you, not what is expected by society or what is "easier".

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might look up threads on genderfluid or androgynous people... for example
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/152580-genderfluid-hrt-transition.html#2

and here:
    http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/DOH-Assets/pdf/doh-transgender-experiences.pdf
    They talk of it having biological causes. meaning its not just a whim ...
    What I do not like is on page 7 talking about stress... its not what all people have experienced, and some experience relief...

Really take your time... and ask here if you have questions, people will support you...

You might chat with others via wall messages...

and you might talk to a gender therapist, a counselor from school or someone from an lgbt center... there might even be support groups...

(*hug*)

#3 jay777, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Chriswe

Hello there! I get what you're saying, I really do. As a genderfluid, mostly male person (actually starting to question if I'm fully FTM and just don't want to let go of my "girl" side) It's pretty annoying. Because I really want to be girl. I want to be comfortable wearing dresses, make up talking about the same stuff as my girl friends... But I cant. Because it feels wrong doing it. It feels like a lie, a big fat lie that I really want to live. But I'm starting to accept that now.

If I understand it right, you want to be a girl, just like me, but feel more like a boy, like I do. But you're a biologically male? It seems like we're both utterly confused...

I would love to get to know you. Would you mind talking with me via wall messages?

5. Nikinja

Thanks Chriswe. Maybe you can PM me your Facebook? I seem not to be able to message you.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just click on username->View Public Profile
    there you can chat via wall messages.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You cannot privately message someone unless you are a full member.
    And, you can't publicly share your Facebook or other social network account

8. I am Kakashi

Sadly, we can't tell you if you are cis, or trans, or genderfluid, or anything else. I definitely think talking to a gender therapist would help though.

My question is, why did you feel happier when you wanted to be a girl? Now you don't feel like a girl, but want to. This probably isn't unheard of, although I have never come across it. Just trying to understand. Did you feel freer as a girl? More able to express yourself? Women, in general, do get a tad more leeway when it comes to gender-non conformity. Women can wear pants, men still really can't wear dresses. It's misogynistic as hell, basically saying men are better, so if a woman/girl are more manly than that's okay. But anyway.

Or maybe you know you aren't 100% male, so any break from that relieves some dysphoria? (That's how I realized I was genderfluid.)

As for transition, if you still aren't sure, maybe a (possibly temporary) transition to using "they/theirs" pronouns would make you feel like you are in the works. That way you can say "Okay, I am not sure what I am. But I might not be all guy, so let's go with this till I figure it out." Not having people take you seriously is aggravated, especially when you want to come out, but are unsure of what you are yet. Having to come out multiple times or even just tweaking could cause people around you to not even bother to try and understand. :frowning2: Like "Oh, it doesn't matter if he's trying to use neutral or female pronouns, they are just going to change it again." This is something a therapist could help with, and could help you realize what's going on.

9. Nikinja

Happy new year everyone.

One thing to note is that I never thought I would have liked wearing girl clothes, until I tried them on and loved them. Before then I thought of myself as a girl who likes to wear boy clothes. I think it's quite possible that the awkwardness I feel at the idea of hormones is just the idea of such a drastic change. I would like a curvier body; I still like my musculature, but I'd love to wow the boys and girls with a little more of a feminine look. Not too feminine though. I'd like to have a more androgynous look. Though not all the time, but hey... I'd have to commit. I think transitioning would give me more freedom in expressing a wider range of genders than I have been able to express. The therapist I had suggested that I should explore a genderfluid identity more so I can get to know that part of myself. I think that's what I should do.

I_am_Kakashi, how did you start to break from your female identity and at what age?