1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutral vs. Agender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by silentscorpio, Dec 29, 2014.

1. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okayyy. So I'm getting father along on my gender journey here and I've narrowed down my brand new shiny label.

I feel neutral most of the time but there is fluidity to my gender but it's not a whole lot. My gender expression on the other hand is much more fluid. Instead of feeling fluidness of male to female and all that's in between and outside I instead go through fluidness of feeling masculine, feminine, or neutral and sometimes androgynous. Obviously easy for me to say >.< I've thought about neutrois, genderfluid, and agender and I'm sorta...at a loss.

I'm basically not sure if I feel neutral and fluid or genderless and fluid (does that even make sense?). I'm wondering...what exactly is the difference? Is agender typically genderlessness? I would hate to take on an identity and have gotten the definition wrong. I've been reading up on the internet and it's been helpful despite being somewhat overwhelming but hearing from a person with firsthand experience and knowledge would be very helpful to me. And maybe talking it out with someone would help me organize my thoughts and better understand since words swimming around in my head don't give much clarity.

2. QuiteAlright

Out Status:
    A few people
    Agender means being neither male nor female, having the innate gender sense in your brain just turn off entirely. An agender person has gender like a blind person can see, if you know what I mean.

Neutrois means having a gender that's right in the middle of male and female, basically being androgynous and having androgynous tastes.

Androgynous and Gender Neutral are pretty much the same thing. They mean either not having a gender (See Agender) or having a gender that's right in the middle of male and female (See Neutrois).

Genderfluid means changing back and forth between more than one gender. That could be Male and Female, but it could also be Male and Neutral, or Female and Neutral, or Female and Super Duper Female, or Male, Female, Super Duper Male, and Neutral.

It sounds like you might be Genderfluid between some things. Genderfluid is a label that can be clarified further. You can say that you're something like "Genderfluid: Male, Female, Neutral". You can look these all up on Wikipedia if you want to check definitions more thoroughly.

3. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ahh that actually clears things up so much for me.

And I feel like I'm leaning more towards genderfluid. But when I feel like presenting feminine I never feel female? Or male...sort of just....feminine. But perhaps I'm not allowing myelf to experience my female side because of the years of dysphoria it caused me so now that it's actually safe for me to be entirely me I'm struggling with some self acceptance? Perhaps in some ways while I accept all my gender expressions I don't necessarily accept the gender (when it's more female).

Ahah! I think I got it.

4. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that I should point out that androgynous usually refers to how you present rather than identify, and that gender expression (for example androgynous) doesn't necessarily have a link to your gender identity. some cis males like to go in drag as do some cis females. some agender or non binary people don't mind presenting as on one side of the binary. gender is crazy varied :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

so you could be neutral or agender and like to play around with the way you express yourself :slight_smile: it doesn't have to have something to do with who you are on the inside.

5. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is true.

I felt so sure yesterday but then I continued to think about it all day. And

This is just really resonating with me. Which almost feels conflicting to the last thing I said. But lots of things just seem to be making sense and I can't tell how I feel.

Which makes me just wanna say, "Screw it, I'm just me I don't need a gender." Which is almost confuses me more.

>.< Sorry I'm rambling a bit...and probably thinking about it too much?

6. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had one of those moments a few months ago, the labels can be pretty confusing and shouldn't just be one more box to fit yourself into. I actually don't feel that comfortable saying I'm genderqueer cause I feel like its saying I'm odd or different than "normal people". The term I most prefer is non-binary, I like it because it kind of says I'm not like other folks but also points out that gender is constructed. plus it puts me in a box with other non binary folks like demi genders or gender neutral peeps :slight_smile:

Long story short, try not to get too hung up on the labels! they change all the time anyway, most of the people who make them up are just trying to figure themselves out. If you don't feel comfortable make up your own label :slight_smile: one of my fave peeps on youtube made up a gender called maverick to identify as.