1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to change name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IAmNotAGirl, Dec 30, 2014.

1. IAmNotAGirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was assigned female at birth but I identify as genergueer / non-binary. I'm only out about this to my closest friends and they are being really supportive.

However a few times I've got the question "Shouldn't you change name? I mean Elli is a GIRLS name"
    I don't feel like I have to change my name, I kinda like it actually. But maybe I should ask to be reffered to as Elliot or something else that's gender neutral instead. Would that make people take me more serious when it comes to my gender identity?

What are your thoughts/experiences? c:

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Be radical and stake a claim that names don't need to be gendered. If you like your name you like it, it doesn't say anything about your gender.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. What they said. ^^

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2014 at 06:10 PM ----------

And personally, I think Elli seems kinda gender neutral. Perhaps because it makes me think of Elliot.

4. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much.. If you like your name, why change it?

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    People often assume that non-binary people must be androgynous in what they call themselves and everything else even though it is a silly requirement. Go by the name you feel comfortable with and if that's your birth name go ahead.

6. Skellington

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Elli is a guy's (nick)name in my part of Northern Europe, so there's that.

7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's ridiculous that there are things you "have" to do to be taken seriously :/ Really, there are no rules. Oh wait, there is one rule - do what makes you feel most comfortable as yourself. That's what this is all about. If you like your name, keep it. If down the road you want to change it, go for it. It's all up to you my friend!

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

totally your choice, there is not a "right" answer. When I was in college, I had a friend named Elliot. He was a straight male. We all called him "Elli" It was his nickname that all his friends called him. It wasn't meant to be anything like a girls name, it was just his nickname. everybody had one, and it definitely didn't have anything to do with having to get a legal name change. Mine was "Beanie," which wasn't at all related to my real name of "John." Somebody thought that I reminded him of the character from the "Beanie and Cecil" cartoon, and the name stuck.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would only change your name if you want to change your name. I would not feel pressured by others to fit into their expectations of what a trans person should and should not do.

10. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perfectly worded. I'd only change your name if you are already uncomfortable with it on an internal level, in my opinion. If you already like your name, you don't need to change it over the thoughts and expectations of other people.