1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What bathroom do you use?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IAmNotAGirl, Dec 30, 2014.

1. IAmNotAGirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm non-binary and I avoid public bathrooms at all costs because I never know if I should use the women's or the men's bathrooms? I don't feel comfortable in either and I feel like I get funny looks no matter which I go to :icon_sad:

How do you deal with this?

2. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to avoid public restrooms at all costs because I just hate being in them. I am grateful for the fact that the bathrooms at my college are labeled "with urinal" and "without urinal" as apart of accepting non-binary folks. I end up using the "without urinal" since I have seen plenty of men still use it. I worry about the situation arising where I have to use the restroom somewhere less progressive.

3. Skellington

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've scoped out non-gender specific bathrooms at places I frequent, like the mall and such. Even if it requires me to walk to the other end of the mall and past like three or four gendered bathrooms.

If non-gender specific bathrooms aren't available, my second choice is single-stalled men's bathrooms.

After that it gets situation specific whether I use the men's or women's. I've always (since before I came out as trans) received funny looks in the women's bathroom, but fear that using the men's might out me to people I'm not yet out to considering the small population where I live.

4. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to use the womans bathroom and it sucks! While I am not to the point yet where I get funny looks from people for looking male (hoping to get binder really soon) when I do I am worried because I go to catholic college and non-binary restrooms don't exist. Also I live in female dorm soooooooo yea maybe I will just stop going to bathroom I can do that right?

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I use the women's. I don't like it but I don't live in a very LGBT friendly area so I don't want to use the men's until I know I'm passing most of the time.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually I use the mens if I can't find a unisex or single stall, but that's because I'm also usually presenting male because I'm not out yet. When I am presenting female, I use the female restroom. I've even been in there when others were, and didn't recieve strange looks, and I don't think I was really passing that day. (But the mens would have been completely out of the question, wouldn't have been anywhere close to safe in there)

7. MissMook

I think I'm stuck with the men's room for as long as I don't pass...which would most likely be forever.

I never liked the men's room, urinals and using one always made me feel uncomfortable for some reason.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I hate public bathrooms, and also try to avoid them.

If Immust, I'd rather use the men's room, but can't out of fear.

9. DelvSeigible

Ya lotsa make up and men's room invites too much attention. I have always use the males room and the female restroom always gives me the fear of being expose. Thankfully I consciously do not care, I just make sure I do not get sexually assaulted but then again who wants to lose an eye fighting a violent person like me

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The one which is free at the moment, with a preference for men's -not at a bar at 3 in the morning, just on restaurants,etc, at "normal" hours.
    Never had a problem there, and I don't pass yet. Nobody said anything. I went, did my bussiness and left. Felt allright, didn't had to wait or exchange smiles with anyone.

In bars, or places where people could be under drugs or alcohol, I have to go to the one that I don't like, and fight dysphoria before-during-and afterwards.

11. PossumJack

I try to just avoid using public bathrooms in general. If I must though, I stick with female restrooms even though I occasionally do get stares from the women inside. This is mostly because I'm never completely confident that I pass as male and don't want to risk my safety by going to the men's room.

12. DelvSeigible

Necroing a 4 day post if there is such a thing. I am just going to learn advance self defense in combination of an understanding in physical limitation and a broad imagination. I think most people who do not know a martial arts or untrained martial artists would lose to me if I was serious even at this point. All restrooms are belong to us!
    Never cower at fear but growl at it while throwing a fist into the vibrating air.
    - E

13. Seige

I use the mens room almost always :frowning2: I think Ive used to womens room twice? Once I couldnt even "go" because I was so nervous, and the other time I was lucky enough that noone came in.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless I'm at work or a very few other places where I have to present male, the women's bathroom. Never had a problem, I dunno, that whole I pass pretty well thing helps.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always avoid public toilets unless, there's an emergency and I can't hold out. I really hate them.They're so disgusting and revealing. If I had to, I would use the women's or a unisex one. I don't think that there's any way that I could pull off using the men's room.

16. SockPuppet

I hate, hate, hate public restrooms, and actively avoid them as much as possible, sometimes holding it for far longer than's likely good for my insides. It's weird, even though I pass (especially lately), and logically know it's unlikely anyone would say anything, I have trouble going in to the women's. As if, if I'm not carrying a purse (which I do only rarely), people will point and state and exclaim pretender. I know, it's goofy...

17. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always use the woman's bathroom, although I don't like it, because I don't pass well and I can't build the courage to go the men's one. I prefer unisex bathrooms.

18. DelvSeigible

I wonder if I will pass ... Lately people call me korean that helps in the looks department. One of these days I got to gather enough courage to use the women's restroom, maybe I will when my hair gets longer.

-E

19. rowena14

I'm an MtF here in the deep South. One thing I have to remember is if I am dressed in women's clothing I go to the lady's room. At first it was a little awkward and I was nervous that if there were women in there they might tell me to leave or get the manager. I have to remember as long as I act like a woman that I am there will be no problems.

20. DelvSeigible

That is so inspirational, I will take some notes: look and act feminine, and perhaps for myself I will just personally keep my own mouth shut just in case I personally might spill the beans. Hopefully my voice does not get worse after I have my MTF operation.

The cup is half of midway full. I quartered the last bit from your cup.
    -E