1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh yeah...my toes are pink...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WyldStyle, Jan 1, 2015.

1. WyldStyle

Hey! I'm glad my title caught your attention.

So, for Christmas my best friend got me a bunch of make-up so that I could start figuring out how to make myself a bit prettier. One piece of which was some pink nail polish. I wanted to use it right away, but I realized that if I painted my fingernails, my family (whom I'm not out to) would see. So I couldn't do that. I decided then to just do my toenails. So I did, and they look pretty in pink. It's also much easier to hide because, go figure, I wear socks in the winter.

Anyways, earlier today I was going about my business when I remembered that my nails were painted. I had completely forgotten about it! That got me thinking, I was breaking a gender norm by painting my nails, but it changed absolutely nothing about my day. So much so that I forgot about them. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is: expressing your gender shouldn't be a big deal, no matter how you express yourself. It shouldn't be scary or stressful or make someone else mad or judgmental at you. Expressing yourself should be casual, and as long as you think you look good, you're good to go!

So yeah, that was my somewhat enlightening thought of the day. I hope it makes sense to you, it made sense in my head!

2. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Makes perfect sense to me too.. Amazing story, thanks for sharing it! :slight_smile:

3. Seige

This.... Actually made my day a bit better. Ive been trying to take huge steps in my transition, but Ive been forgetting that I can still do small stuff, even if its dangerous. Not exactly rhe same as your situation, but thank you.

4. WyldStyle

I'm glad I could be of some help to you and the well being of your day :slight_smile: Remember it's not the size of the step that matters, it's how much it matters to you that's important.

5. Seige

I think I might start wearing sportsbras under my clothes to school. Idk. Small steps right? Ill know its there but my parents/kids at school wont.

6. JessicaWolfess

I wear shoes out in public so people wouldn't even notice.....and my parents will make it the biggest freaking drama EVER! if they saw me with painted nails...

#6 JessicaWolfess, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  7. WyldStyle

Go for it! I've done it before in a padded bra and you'd be surprised how unobservant people can be.

Haha, it will be our own little secret, no one will have to know.

8. MissMook

You know, in all the time I wished I could walk around in public with painted fingernails, never have I thought about painting my toenails.

I might just give this a try, actually. I don't like how my feet are so big, but maybe something like that could help me feel a tad more feminine in that area too.

And of course, it's the little things that go a long way.

9. Seige

Hmm.... I wonder If I could actually paint my toenails... Id have to basically always wear socks when my parents are home though. It might be what I need. :slight_smile: Thanks again OP.