1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking Bathrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Friendly Lion, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Friendly Lion

So, as an agender kid, I never know which bathroom I should use in public... Going in my bio-gender's bathroom (female) makes me really uncomfortable and I'm not sure what to do about it. What do you suggest?

2. Seige

Theyre are family restrooms most places, and noone tends to look at you strange if you use them. I tend to use them when I can. They also tend to be a LOT cleaner, since theyre used less. I assume youd also be uncomfortable using the mens bathroom?

3. AsheTheHuman

If there's not family bathroom, than I usually just don't go :/ Public bathrooms are the worst.

4. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm trying to figure this out, myself. I'm not sure exactly which one I should use onces I start dressing up. A lot of my friends know me to be male .. so obviously, I'd use the mens bathroom. It'd be kind of awkward if I stepped into the female restroom. Even the girls around here know me pretty well.

I guess it's just a matter of preference? I mean, some places have an extra restroom that's for either or. Maybe you can find somewhere that has that if you go out? I don't know ...

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Most restaurants have a single-stall bathroom and often times they are unisex. Libraries, some stores, and small museums would have a similar set up.

6. Just Jess

I used to take advantage of that whole "girls go to the bathroom in groups" stereotype. Honestly though, most people out there really just want to do their business and leave. You will end up with a couple people who want to chat it up by the mirrors every now and then, but they don't really want to talk to you either.

It's just like a lot of other things about being trans. You have to be able to deal with the few people out there that will cause problems with a little bit of grace and tact, but you can't plan your whole life around problems you're worried will happen. Most people are better than that terrified part of you expects them to be.

But if you aren't comfortable you will make other people uncomfortable. I would use whatever bathroom is most comfortable for you to use. If you aren't ready to use the women's, you aren't. You don't have to prove anything to anyone.

You aren't a girl or a boy just because you're a guest in one of our bathrooms :slight_smile:

7. Friendly Lion

Thanks, everyone :slight_smile: