1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretending to be MtF/FtM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Slothus, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been wondering about the idea of a trans person pretending to be the opposite of what they identify (e.g. MtF pretending to be FtM) as a way of temporarily coping with their predicament until it became easier to actually transition.

For instance I really want to buy and wear a chest binder, not for any kind of practical use, but because it would make me feel like I was physically female but presenting as male.

Has anybody on here tried this? Also would anybody here find this offensive? I wouldn't but opinions do tend to differ.

2. Seige

Its an interesting theory, as long as you didnt tell people you were mtf when you were ftm, or vice versa, I dont see a problem with this if it helps with your dysphoria. Just dont lie about who you are if anyone asks. Idk. Its an interesting thought.

3. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't thinking of going that far with it but yes I agree with you. It would just be something I keep to myself to make me feel better.

4. Seige

Then yeah! I think thats a really good idea. Buy that binder :slight_smile: I understand how terrible dysphoria is sometimes. Anything you can do to lessen that is good.

5. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No really something I would do, but if it helps, go for it!

6. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Dang, I thought it was just me! I'm FTM, and boyish enough to get "young gentleman"-ed when I wear sweatshirts, boots and jeans… but sometimes, when I'm forced into frilly shirts and dresses, a part of me hopes that my broad shoulders, square jaw and tiny breasts will get me mistaken for a pre-teen MTF girl who's just started on hormones or something.

Just so that I can feel like I have a totally male body :icon_redf

7. Manta

If I have to present female for some occasion or other I'll tell myself I'm cross dressing. The thought process tends to be "fine, I'll wear the dress, but I'm going to be a guy in a dress." Or sometimes I tell myself I'm playing a role (since I do theater).

8. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Hahaha that reminds me: I was walking through school with my best friend one day, when one of her friends, who hadn't met me, joined us. My friend introduced me to her friend as "[male name]", and consistently referred to me with male pronouns.

It should be mentioned that, at this point, I had a masculine haircut, baggy jeans, and boots (which served to boost my height from 5'4" to 5'6"). HOWEVER, I was also wearing a flowery, sort-of-crop-top peasant blouse thing, and my speaking voice is naturally rather gender-ambiguous.

Suffice to say, we confused the hell out of my friend's friend that day :lol:

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as you don't lie to others when/if they ask, then I don't see any harm in that idea. If it helps you, then I would go for it.

10. Raatox

I do that :slight_smile: Not as far as that I by breast implants or so, but I think of my self as a female guy (wich I am) with a quite feminime expression, and sometimes tries to pass for female. Actually, thats kinda what I've done my whole life, trying to pass as a female.
    And I still feel more like an MTF than a FTM, I am a man trying to be female (sometimes)...

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This :icon_bigg I guess that is the main reason why I feel fascinated by drag queens.
    Now seriously, I've been forced to play the female part all my life, and I don't like it... I'm not very good at it by the way. You can dress me up like Dolly Parton, and still I'll keep walking like a cowboy and the rest. I'm not a very good actor.