1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new to EC, and was trying to reach out for some advice...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by aschen, Jan 4, 2015.

1. aschen

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just recently joined empty closets, and finally decided it was time to reach out to others that could relate to what I am going through. I am 21 year old male, who has recently began to question my gender identity. I have had a history in cross-dressing and until recently, never thought much of it. I remember having interests and impulses to express femininity since the first or second grade, even if it just was something as simple as painting my nails. Although I had these urges, I knew it was "taboo" for me, a young boy, to participate in such activities. On occasion, I can remember wishing that I could be a girl, but I never expressed these feelings verbally.

I broke up with my girlfriend a few months ago, and although she was somewhat supportive of my cross-dressing, I got scared and withdrew from the relationship. Alone, I turned to alcohol and marijuana as a crutch, which I know is not a smart thing to do. I think I was using them to inhibit or suppress some of my true feelings, or as a means of preoccupying my mind from the issues I was trying to sort out. Between stress of the break-up, potentially not graduating college due to my slipping performance, and my ever-demanding work schedule, I did not put any emphasis on exploring the reasons of why I was cross-dressing.

I have since graduated, and have been able to meditate more on how I truly feel about myself, and I know that I am facing some gender identity issues. Although I am a male, I view myself in a feminine manner, and wish I could express my feminine desires more openly without facing backlash.. I am beginning to consider myself transgender, and have since become depressed with my self image and how it relates to how I actually view myself. I guess I am writing this because I know the next step is to talk to my parents about seeking a therapist or the help of some professional, but I am reluctant to do so. I almost feel guilty, and I feel like I have been lying to my family and friends. I am tired of hiding who I really am, and just want to be accepted. Fear of rejection and the thought of pushing those close to me further away because of my problems scares me - I already pushed away my ex-girlfriend out of the fear of rejection.

I have faced serious spouts of depression as a young adult and suicide has crossed my mind on more than one occasion, but I know it is not the answer. Although I never realized it then, I think that they stemmed from gender identity issues.

I'm just ready to make the next step in this journey to discovering who I really am, and was hoping that I could reach out to this community and receive some advice and assistance in moving forward.

Thank you,
    aschen

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We would love to help you on your journey, so feel free to tell us anything.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

I felt the guilt that you are feeling now when I first started to come to terms with my identity. I felt that I had been forced to lie about myself to fit others standards of who I should be. I then realized that I needed to be who I am, not who I am seen as being.

I think that a therapist would be a good idea. Do you have any idea if your parents are accepting of transgender people? If you do not know, it may be worth testing the waters a bit with a recent trans news story to see their reaction. If you are not comfortable telling them why you want a therapist, you could always do research and suggest one yourself.

It's easy to accidentally push people away when you are not comfortable with yourself. Sometimes the internal emotions that you feel become more prominent in your daily life, and that pushes people away. Mine came out as anger, and I lashed out at a few people for it. The important thing is that you see this, and hopefully this means that you will have some more control over it.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...9807-figuring-out-my-gender-identity-s.html#4
    The link for androgynous people might not be for you...

and here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/156085-i-just-im-kind-scared.html#4

Its a lot of information... I'd say take your time... ask questions...

it can be fun, trying different hairstyles and clothing, for example...

You might talk to a gender therapist, a counselor from school or someone from an lgbt center... saying you want some counseling...

You might look for support groups, maybe in your local lgbt center...

and build some community on EC, for now you can chat with others via wall messages, after 14 days you can apply for full membership and join the chat and send private messages...

(*hug*)

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, welcome to EC.

You've definitely come to the right place for an amazing group of supportive and helpful people. I joined a little over a month ago, when I decided to start coming out to my closest friends, and it's been awesome.

If ever you need anything, feel free to message!

6. aschen

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for providing some useful information! c: I will definitely take the time to check out the rest of EC, and plan on getting more involved in this community.

I'm going to try to talk to my parents about my internal conflict soon, and will definitely share the experience.. good or bad. But regardless of their initial reaction, its the first step I need to take.