1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Prom

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Friendly Lion, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Friendly Lion

Soo, prom's coming up where I live and I want to go but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Basically, I'm going to be in an environment where my overbearing conservative parents will hear about what I wear/who my date is. Now, the person I'm currently relationshipping with is technically the same gender as me, so I obviously that's out of the question. Also, I don't know what to wear. Most of the time, I'm a tee shirt and jeans kinda kid so I always get to look gender neutral. If I go to prom, I'd have to wear a dress or a tux (I'd rather wear a tux but my parents won't let me) and it's just frustrating. Do you think it's even worth it? If so, how could I get around my date/outfit problems? Thank you in advance.

2. sharkpool

i think that if you want to go with your partner you could say that you are going with friends and not with a date. don't know how common is this where you live.
    about the tuxedo... that's more difficult
    you could also come out of the closet, but that's not always a good idea.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might say its your style and you feel uncomfortable in a dress.
    You might think about dress pants and button up shirts, for example...
    there should be something that makes you feel comfortable and look good :slight_smile: .

(*hug*)

4. I honestly don't know any prom etiquette, haven't had prom yet, but what should it matter? Prom, to me,is about having fun with the people that love you for being you. You could try to wear a certain skirt with a button up and suit jacket. You could also try wearing a feminine (or neutral ) shirt with suit pants without a jacket. If it means so much to you then don't go. Think of it this way, you can put on hundreds of different covers/ cases on a boring phone.... That doesn't change the fact that underneath the case it is still the same phone. If you fear violence don't go. Because you and your girlfriend can still have a safe, rocking, awesome, freaking fantastic time at home. In this case it really is all about yourself and how you feel.
    (!) , hope I helped some