1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a "3rd" gender option for legal stuff?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Jan 5, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As everyone knows, on paperwork and your ID, you're given either a "F" for female or a "M" for male. But, what about other gender identities? Like, if you're Intersex? This is going to have to be for future reference for me, but could I change my paper's gender to say "Androgyne"? Otherwise, I feel like I'm being somehow dishonest for going by "female".

2. Lazuri

In most countries it's just "M" or "F" though it might be subject to change. At least in Sweden they've been thinking about getting rid of the binary gender system.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at work I processed a birth certificate for a child that said "not yet determined" there. I can only imagine thatthe child was born with an intersex condition. When dad came in to pick it up, he was kinda irate that I couldn't change it to male.

4. antibinary

In Britan we don't although we could always go on change.org or Epetitions.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Australia, you can get an X on some forms of identification.

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another option, which can help right away, is to remember that an 'ID card' is just a piece of plastic, which we have to use to negotiate this matrix-like society of 'legislation' with it's 'enforcers' the police, etc. We need the plastic to get by, but truly what is written on it need not have anything to do with who we really are. This goes for everyone, by the way. Ultimately, it's meaningless as compared with what you feel and know in your heart. That's what really 'defines' who you are, and all that really matters. Let them read 'F' or 'M', who cares what they think it means? We could even decide that 'F' stands for 'Fluid', maybe...so every time we look at the card, that is what we will see...I think it's time for human beings to reclaim their inner creativity from this legalistic / mental control grid that has been clamped down on our imaginations. Yes, a letter can mean whatever we want it to. It's just a few lines arranged a certain way, after all. No intrinsic meaning, only means what is ascribed to it in any case.

7. Lazuri

I agree. I don't need a piece of plastic to tell me who I am. I know that, already.

8. Seige

Isnt a X usually reserved for people who are intersex or Agender? I do think there should be an option to not have your gender displayId on your ID card. I mean is it that important for identification? Especially when your picture is displayed right on the card.