1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for transitioning and passing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rexbox360, Jan 5, 2015.

1. rexbox360

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everybody!:smilewave I just wanted to ask some questions for transitioning and some other questions somewhat about it. (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

How much is T or about?

What is a good hair cut without being on T? (I like shorter but whatever helps pass)

Is there a way to make your voice deeper/how do you talk through your diaphragm

How do you get the confidence to start dressing as the gender you really are?

Ill ask any more questions when I have more but thank you for reading :starwars:

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How much is T or about?
    I'm in Canada so this will just give you a rough idea. It cost me about $30-35 for a 10mL 100mg/mL vial after finding the cheapest in the area.

What is a good hair cut without being on T? (I like shorter but whatever helps pass)
    Depends a lot on your face. Short on the sides and longerish on top is often a good place to start. Try to be clear with your hair dresser or barber you want a men's cut to masculinize your face. Otherwise they'll do things like give you long, pointed sideburns (easy enough to cut off though!) which is feminine.

Talking from your chest voice will make your voice sound more powerful and resonant. It'll also be a bit deeper, but actually deepening your voice is tricky. You don't want to go into "vocal fry" by trying to be deeper, it just doesn't sound good.
    This may help, but YMMV with it. Be careful with this technique.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwI2GAwH3c

For me, I kinda just... did it. I went out to a second hand store and started dressing in my new clothes. I was nervous, especially when I was around family like that for the first time. I didn't really think about it or analyze anything I just went out and did it.

#2 Ronin, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Lazuri

Making your voice sound more like the voice of the opposing biological gender is more about resonance than pitch. It doesn't really have to be dark to be recognizable as a man's voice as long as the resonance is right.

For most people, the fe/male voice they want to have is totally within your range, you just need to learn how to use muscles that you have never really used before which can be difficult and sometimes painful. But just like any muscle it gets easy when you get the trick.

I'd link you some tutorial video but the ones I know is how to get a feminine voice. I'd look one up for you but I'm on my phone. Obviously the best thing you can do is to attend voice therapy, but depending on where you're from and your economical situation it may not be in your budget.

I also want to point out that buying hormones and taking it by yourself can be a bad idea. Not all of the hormones you can buy are good for you and it's recommended to go to andoctor regularly to check your levels. If you don't it can be ineffectual or potentially harmful. I know Bunny in Steam Powered Giraffe went on hormones for quite a while with no real result and it wasn't until she went to a doctor to do it right that things happened. After that it only took a few months for her to really show the results.

Self medicating can work, but you can also end up throwing a lot of money away due to it.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

How much is T or about?

- This varies from place to place and method.

Typically, injections are the most affordable and dermal/sub-dermal/oral (patches, gels, creams, pellets that go under the skin or tongue, pills) are more expensive. Different locations have different options. For example, there's only certain forms of injections you can get in the UK. Where I'm going, they've partnered up with Walgreens, and a 3-4 month supply of T should run me only $75.

- Hudson's Guide is an FTM help website that has a section on haircuts and what typically works with what face shape. I winged it and brought in a picture of a celebrity I liked and had them go from there (ex: I went with Gerard Way). If they have magazines, you could look there too for something you like.

- There is something called "Boom Your Voice", which can be found on Youtube. However, I've heard people say to be careful with that since you can strain your vocal cords. It's hard to describe, but try talking from your chest. If you've ever taken a vocal class (like chorus in school), your teacher might have went over that or mentioned it (like what your head voice is).

- I feel that it's something you work on a little bit, then it eventually comes on naturally; like driving or riding a bike.