1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nounself???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Randomcloud, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Randomcloud

Ok, I probably spend way too much time on tumblr haha...I keep seeing people debating about using "nounself" pronouns like "star/starself" "fawn/fawnself" as in, pronouns inspired by objects or animals or whatever. This just seems so odd and dehumanizing to me, not to mention kind of unfair that people are expected to remember these when they're not grammatically easy to use in a sentence (like themself or even 'hirself' would be).

Do people in the transgender community actually take these types of pronouns seriously? Is it a legit struggle people face, where neutral pronouns like "they/their/them" are not fitting and they relate more to plants/stars/animals? I don't get it. But I don't want to seem like a horrible person just because I don't get it...lol..

2. Seige

I dont get it either -_- Im probably alone in this, so if someone wants to explain itd be helpfull.

3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've... never heard of this before. It sounds very faddish to me. People are experimenting with things or getting carried away, I'm not sure. It's probably mostly harmless from the sounds of things unless people take it too far. I honestly don't know, though. Sounds a bit strange to me too, tbh. I can't see people in the "real" world taking that too seriously though, so I don't see it going anywhere. Just from what I'm gathering here.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i would also like to know, i have heard of nounself but not defining it by plants/animals or stars

5. Lazuri

Personally I find it ridiculous and annoying.

At some point it just becomes looking for attention, especially on tumblr where being trans seems more like a passing fashion than an actual issue. I know I left tunblr after I read a post from a cis female who said "I wish I was born male so I could be a trans female." When you just want to be trans to fit in, it's going too far.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense to whomever, but this is an affront to the English language, reeks of special snowflake syndrome, and is just bullshit, in my opinion. It's right up there with "moon gender" and "lithromantic".

7. Moongender sounds like gender fluid but, a weird way of making yourself "special snowflake" about it.
    Lithromantic, I'm not sure about. I mean, I suppose it's possible but it almost reminds me of either an insecurity or a commitment issue.

I think a lot of these pronouns are very "special snowflake." I couldn't have said it better myself, Chip.

I hate to say it but, in a lot of people (certainly not all), being Trans* is becoming a fad.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I find it kind of offensive to be honest, and I can't take them seriously. I don't understand how or why being trans became a fad, but it really bothers me. I worry that other people will see it and not take real trans people seriously anymore. I try to stay away from the LGBT scene on tumblr so I don't see much of that thankfully.

9. Lazuri

Basically it's because of the popularity of the social justice warriors. Being trans is basically the only way for a white straight person to suddenly go from the privileged position in society that comes with being white, cis and heterosexual. Instead they can be trans and homosexual to become more under privileged.

Basically, it's an excuse to say "check your privilege."

What's worse is that these people are extremely vocal and have a habit of making transgenders in general look bad. More than once on the internet have I been called "tumblr whore" by complete strangers when they found out I was trans.

10. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I heard somebody refer to themselves as "starself", I would most likely do one of two things: 1) Laugh hysterically. 2) Get extremely annoyed.

I'm all for respecting people's pronoun choices, but I think that's taking it a little too far.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's Tumblr. What do you think?

12. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heared about this, but the first thing which comes to my mind is Wolfie Blackheart and the Therians. If you don't know about them, search it on YouTube or Google.

13. Randomcloud

Ok phew...I'm glad people here see it like I do...that is, it seems totally bizarre and kind of trivializing the struggles of transgender people :S

This is a good point...it may well be the case. It's frustrating because I see multiple posts on that damn website saying "if you don't accept peoples pronouns including nounself pronouns you are scum/trash/etc" and I was like...really? Why? Ughh. I do not see someone calling you an established neutral pronoun (ie. "themself") instead of "starself" as much of an issue as someone calling you "himself/herself" instead of "themself"..

True

14. Lazuri

Personally, if I'd encounter somebody who insisted I use these pronouns I would simply walk away. It's just special snowflake syndrome and attention seeking and they make a joke out of a something that is very, very real for some people.

Why would you want to identify as a star anyway? Like is that your greatest desire? To be a huge ball of gas? It's actually a pretty easy goal to reach but includes the ingestion of a large amount of burritos.

15. It's actually really refreshing to see other like minded people on this issue. I go to school with a lot of "special snowflakes." It's annoying as hell.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Only on tumblr...

Reminds me of "other kin" for some reason

17. Lazuri

Honestly, it's why I went here when I felt it was time to reach out to some kind of support group. I had been around the tumblr kind of trans and I was more interested in finding a community of real people with real problems and with real experience and so I stumbled over EC.

Ironically this thread was made pretty much a day after I joined and helped confirm that I found what I was looking for.

18. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think otherkins really need to use those pronouns. They are used to indicate their gender and not species.

19. Kelp Krunch

I agree that for the most part, people are bs'ing this sorta stuff. But I do know that there are genuine cases of this sorta thing, I read about someone who identified as a dog and wanted to be addressed as such. The people who are doing this for attention are despicable, yes, but how can we decipher who's being genuine? Is there a line drawn between the animate and inanimate identifications? How can I truly know someone does not feel like a star?

20. cameroni

cameroni Guest

I've encountered this and a lot of people who do this identify as otherkin? Apparently it can be a coping method for various mental disorders and when people genuinely identify as non-human things.
    Otherkin - The Otherkin Community