1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a preferred name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DarkWolf, Jan 8, 2015.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Next semester of college starts in two weeks for me so new classes and new people. I want to start introducing myself with a different name (which I plan to make my legal name but want to use it first to know if the name fits). But would that be too confusing since some people at my college already know me by my birth name? I have a name chosen but how do I know if it really fits me personality and appearance wise? And I worry about not responding right away since I am so use to being called by birth name.

2. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want people to call you by a certain name, especially if you're going to make a legal change to it, then i say use it. As for responding to it, i suppose you could try telling yourself "my name is ____" repeatedly at a mirror. About the personality part i think you should keep in mind that when your parents named you they had absolutely no idea how you would turn out so it might take awhile to see yourself as a new name but i'm sure you'll adjust. Anyways those are just my thoughts, i hope they're of some help.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say to use it as well. It took me some time to get used to responding to my new name, but now I cannot respond to my old name. As people call you it more, it becomes easier. Also, if you plan on using your new name in classes, you can email your professors and ask that you are referred to that name instead of the name on the roster.