1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting hormones.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bonaparte, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Guest

Hey guys, so I am a seventeen year old transmale, and I have a few questions about starting hormones. Recently, my parents agreed to let me start taking testosterone, and the therapist we went to see second'd it that it would be the best in my situation. She is going to recommend us to a doctor for blood-work, but I'm kind of confused as to what I have to do to get actually on hormones, and how long that will take. I don't even think I need a letter in my state, but my therapist would likely supply it, so does anyone have some information? If it matters, I am in North Carolina.

#1 Bonaparte, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since your therapist referred you to a doctor, there is probably not much that you will need to do outside of bloodwork. It really depends on what kind of clinic you go to. Some will do some other screening processes, and others will not. (These sometimes are conversations about how you know you are trans, and sometimes a bit longer wait time before you start.) My guess is that since you are going to that clinic, she has sent a letter to them already.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm also in North Carolina. I did not know you could get on T at the age of 17, let alone without a letter.

4. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Guest

Thank you Brad, as of yet, she hasn't contacted the clinic, but suggested the idea because the specific area I live isn't really aware of trans issues, so we needed a doctor who has had past transgender clients. It's good to know though medically bloodwork is the basis of what needs to be done though, because I was a bit worried about medical bills.

Hey NingyoBroken, in North Carolina they use the "informed consent," policy; basically if your parents sign for your hormones, you can take them with minimal therapy. I've literally been to one therapy session, but been out as male for three years which is why they approved me early. I also know a transguy here who went to one/two therapy sessions and was immediately approved for T. Basically if your parents consent, you can start the process, but they say the "consequences" of hormones are your own responsibility (you can't sue).

It's basically this form "www.fenwayhealth.org/site/DocServer/Informed_Consent_-_Testosterone_Therapy.pdf?docID=2202"

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The hard part is going to be finding an informed consent clinic in your area, since hose are still pretty few and far between. Sometimes you can find an endo hat is willing to use the informed consent model, but that is hard to find as well. Good luck! I hope that they are able to find somebody for you soon :slight_smile: