1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the 0.2%-0.3% figure is correct?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Jan 11, 2015.

1. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

For the transgender population in the USA, that is. I feel like it might be pretty low, since only very recently has it become even slightly safer for a trans person to come out. There might be a bunch of people with gender dysphoria who are just passing themselves off as their birth sex out of fear.

…I'm one of them…

2. suninthesky

If you consider gender identity as a spectrum, then I think the number is way higher. Maybe in the future people will see it as a continuum, like height or weight.

3. Lazuri

I think it sounds about right, actually. It sounds like very little when you say it like that, but 0.2% is one in every 500 people. It just feels like more to us because LBQT people attract other LBQT people.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Sometimes it feels a bit low to me but when you think about how many people there are, .2-.3% is a lot. I know 3 trans people in real life (possibly more) and I live in a pretty small, rural town.