1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me or being genderfluid/androgynous makes you less attractive

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by edy, Jan 11, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it's wrong to generalize, so I'm going to talk about me in particular. I don't think I show enough gender mannerism (either male or female) to be attractive for men or women

It's like I'm somewhere in between... more feminine yes but I don't think I would feel comfortable being a woman 24/7 (I'm not completely sure if I don't do it because of the social stigma or it's just the way I am).

But I've noticed that I even stopped being effeminate maybe I was told not to be so much that somehow I just stopped. I don't think I'm the most effeminate guy out there and I'm not so in touch with my feminine side as I used to. Again, I can't tell if I stopped because I wanted to or because I needed to in order to survive this homophobe world

Obviously I'm not very masculine either... I tried but I didn't feel comfortable. to give you a bigger picture, if I was born female people would think of me as a tomboy (Ellen page kind of tomboy) :lol:

I think people's tastes are so binary (At least the few people I know). I just don't fit

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Not in my case. I find androgyny very sexy, though admittedly my tastes favour those who lean feminine, especially in looks. I like balanced, androgynous personality (but more femme than me), with very feminine looks.

3. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Guest

I don't think it's so much people find androgynous people unattractive, it's just it's somewhat more complicated to approach someone with interest if you're not sure exactly what gender they are (based on just male and female genders).

As well as this, people feel that finding attraction to specific gender characteristics morphs their sexuality. For example, if you have a male who is identifying as a man, but likes to wear makeup which makes him extremely feminine faced while still dressing as a man, this is going to make gay men feel as if people are judging them for having attraction to these female characteristics that make him look partially female, and to women that they're attracted to other women by seeking a partially female looking person. It doesn't matter if the features are balanced, because people will just relate the biological sex with the features that contrast that.

I think in summary it's just confusing for people because it doesn't receive a lot of exposure outside of fashion magazines; not so much as they find these people ugly, just confusing.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just be yourself, have a style you are comfortable with.
    Personality attracts, too.
    Some would consider a more varied personality a plus.

(*hug*)

5. PossumJack

Genderqueer folks tend to confuse and scare people because it defies the gender binary. If someone likes a genderqueer person, are they straight? Gay? Bi? The current labels simply don't work and it makes most people nervous, and unfortunately being unable to fit into a group often makes you susceptible to harassment.

That being said, I personally find physical androgyny extremely attractive, though I have a preference for more masculine characteristics than feminine ones.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think most people are programmed to find certain traits attractive, and this is re-enforced by culture. Asian women are seen as the most feminine, and black men are seen as the most masculine. Androgyny defies stereotypical gendered traits, and these throw most people off. Some of us are attracted to femininity, masculinity, or androgyny in general, regardless of whether it's in a male, female, or genderqueer/non-binary person. I jokingly tell people that I like "short hair on women, and long hair on men" which is an extremely simplified version of my tastes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And yes, I think there is also a fear that being attracted to someone who resembles the same gender makes a person gay (hell, even guys are terrified of admitting being attracted to trans women, simply due to their biological make up). This makes less people speak up in public, although changing trends could help alleviate this fear.

Sometimes, it's either laugh or cry.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it very hot. Some people are just uncomfortable with it, that's all.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find them sexy

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I beg to differ. I'm mainly attracted to Androgyny. For instance, take the androgynous redheaded actress, Tilda Swinton. She is pure sexy! The person I'm in love with is actually rather androgynous, when I think about it. When we first met, and looking back on the experience, I had a really hard time figuring out her gender. Excluding the fact that she always told me that she was a female:eusa_doh:, I actually had to go by the vibes I got from her. Not that gender matters to me. She'll always be beautiful to me.

As for your gender expression, I think that you should be yourself. I've tried being masculine and feminine, and it never worked. I always felt inauthentic and I realize now, that it was because I didn't identify as either.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2015 at 01:16 AM ----------

I think it is because androgyny pushes boundaries. It tests long-standing and hard to shake beliefs on gender. People often fear what they don't know.

#9 PlantSoul, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. Polka Dots

I've always been very, very attracted to androgyny... even as a teenager.

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm never going to find anyone lol :lol:

12. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find androgyny very attractive, although I prefer femininity. I would rather date an androgynous guy than an androgynous girl. I just prefer very feminine girls and androgynous guys.

#12 NekoAlex, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to be more attracted to other androgynous persons than those that are super masculine or feminine. Though, I also tend to be more strongly attracted to masculine women. Feminine men don't really do anything for me, though.

14. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I find honesty and being genuine makes someone the most attractive...

About my only turn off is facial hair... although even that isn't a complete turn off. Man or women, I'm pretty open and get attracted to a whole variety of types. A good smile and confidence get you more points with me.

I could spout of further likes and preferences, but for a serious relationship, what is inside counts way more then the outside.

15. ANewDawn

Im the same way. I identify as a mostly gay female, and while I can't imagine ever having sex with a dick, I'm physically attracted to androgynous guys. Only femme girls tho.