1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluidity and school events

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Frostbite, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Frostbite

At my school we have a yearly event called "Mr. Bronco" which I would like to do. Obviously, by the name you can tell participants have to be boys. I'm a DFAB genderfluid person, so I'm afraid they won't let me do it. Do I have legal rights involving participation in the event since it is held at a public school? I believe in Rhode Island the law states that if I identify as male I can do it but I don't remember.

#1 Frostbite, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. WyldStyle

It seems worth a shot but I don't know if they'll allow it. They might label you by your sexual identity at school, not what you identify as.

3. Lazuri

Sue 'em if they don't.

No, but do give it a shot. I don't think asking can hurt.

4. Music Soul

I agree, you'll never know unless you ask. If your school has a GSA or something similar you could have someone from there help you ask.

5. Frostbite

What do I do if the school tells me I'm not allowed to do it if the law says I am? Do I contact ACLU or something?

6. Lazuri

Find the law that says you can in a lawbook first and see what happens. That's how I solved a few other problems in the past and you'd be surprised at how many people just give up the second you put that book on the counter.

If pointing out the law from the book itself yields no result then yeah, maybe pursue it further if you feel it's worth for you to go through all the trouble.

I'm curious though, what kinda contest is it, or would you rather not say?

7. Frostbite

It's kind of like a beauty pageant but there is no material prize. It's just fun and I want an excuse to walk onstage in a tailcoat.