1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I put my feelings into spoken words?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DarkWolf, Jan 16, 2015.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I am going to take that brave step (brave for me anyway) to make an appointment with a transgender-friendly therapist through my college. But the whole thought of talking to someone else about what is going on in my life while face to face scares me. I haven't seen a counselor since middle school and that was because I was forced to.

I am worried they will delve too deep into my personal life or invalidate the fact that I feel male. How do I explain what I am going through and how I feel when these things are very personal to me and I feel embarrassed. And especially to someone I don't know.

This is such a scary step and it's only the first step. I need to stop bottling up and actually solve my problem but I am just so terrified.

2. Lazuri

I don't think we can help you with this.

You're basically asking us to put your emotions and thoughts into words and we can't possibly know.

Really, just go in there, take a deep breath and just talk. If you think about what you're going to say, you're not being as open as if you'd just talk without overthinking.

3. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Don't think of therapists so much as someone paid to judge and condemn you and tell you what to do but more as someone to help guide your thought processes and exploration of your feelings.

They are legally bound to serving your best interests.

4. NatWheeled

Write it out....read what you wrote if you must. But writing it out will help. Then...maybe just read your speech or make cue cards. Does anybody around you know you're gender issues? Perhaps roleplay with them being the therapist. Have em ask you questions that might get asked.

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like that. I meant more like encouragement.

But in any case, I appreciate everyone's advice.

6. Lazuri

No, I'm sorry, that was a misunderstanding on my part.

But most of my argument still stands. You should just talk without overthinking, almost not thinking at all and just say the first thing that comes to your mind. Sometimes when you do that, you might surprise yourself and realize something that you never realized before. A therapist isn't a person you should need to convince, s/he should just listen.

As for gathering up the courage to do it, just remember why you're doing it. Besides, courage is manlier and going through this transition thing is probably the manliest thing you can do.

7. Jellal

Consider how you'll feel better after you're able to share your feelings with someone. I promise you that feeling is real and it helps you to move forwards.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Start simple.

Get a piece of paper (I find it more intimate than typing, because it, usually, takes longer, so you have a chance to think about it more).

Write out the feelings/emotions you have that are associated with your situation. Under/near those feelings/emotions, put what you believe is a cause. This can be things like 'society', 'judgement', 'parents/siblings', etc.

Once you have those down, take a good look. Add or remove anything.

Once you have, out in front of you, that. Start to think about how you'd tell somebody these things. Don't try to make it an English Masters-level effort, but you can polish it up a little bit, if you're worried about them preying on any insecurity or doubt you have. Once you've done this, start saying these things in a mirror, until you feel comfortable saying them.

I've found that by doing this, I can study my body language and my eyes, so that I don't give off any doubt to what I say. It also allows me to sound more sure and confident, which is essential in cases like this.

Be honest. That is the most important thing, in all of this.

9. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    just talk and let the words flow out