1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for transsexuals in Canada

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quiet Raven, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Quiet Raven

So, I am absolutely pre-everything. I have no spare money at the moment to start anything. Never even spoke to a gender therapist. The most I have done is speak to my councilor. And he gave me a bit of support but doesn't know a whole lot on this particular subject. It isn't his specialy.

I have never even really gave planning much thought because my focus is on finding some kind of work. But I need to know...

In Canada, just what is the prosess like? Most importantly, the cost? Is it possible to at least get on hormones with a full time, minimum wage job? Even if it is tight... I am having so much trouble even getting that... So I just really want to know just how much hope I have of starting this in the near future. Also, would an employer be able to fire me for starting that soon after starting work? If they happen to be against this sort of thing...

Most therapists in my area charge about $200 an hour... About how much time will I need to spend with a therapist before I can start? About how much money will I need for that?

And lastly... The sex reassignment surgery... About how much will that cost?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to get a clear picture of what this process is like...

And if I will ever be able to do it...

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dr Brassard SRS Guide, Includes Cost There's a nice site for surgery stuff.. Dr. Brassard has some extremely mixed reviews, so really do your research.

I can't really help with experience, but maybe my own research can help a bit. I did a bit of refined research for Nova Scotia.
    Transgender Rights to be Protected in Human Rights Act | novascotia.ca Should cover the part about getting fired.

As far as hormones, requirements and pricing are always different. Different therapists have different requirements before sending you to an endo, and different endos have different requirements before giving you a prescription. Price mostly depends if you want pills, patches, injections, etc. What I've found is that it generally costs between $20-$40 a month for HRT.

Hopefully I've helped. If I come across anything else that might be useful I'll let you know. Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. KayJay

You can message me on my wall or by PM if you have any extra questions. I'm on my phone right now so I'll try to answer the best I can but I can be much more thorough when I get to my PC.

I know here in Ontario you can get surgeries covered after a long process. I haven't started it though so I don't know too much about it. I've been on hormones now for over a year and I pay 6 dollars for like 2 months worth of estrogen and T blockers. I am on ODSP and I do not work. Insurances should cover it, as far as I know.

I didn't pay anything but how much it cost me to bus to all my appointments. I found a doctor accepting patients which took work work work, I went in and he set me up to see this lady for a readiness assessment for hormones. I saw her 4 times, each an hour long visit, my next time I saw the doctor he started me with T blockers.

As far as I know here where I live its illegal to discrimite trans people so you can't be fired for that. Though some fucked up stuff does happen in this world so it is possible to get fired for a "different" reason.

Like I said I'm totally open to questions! I'll answer as many as you have to the best of my ability :slight_smile:

5. Quiet Raven

Thank you! That was a big help. And it sounds awesome. Seems like it would be very affordable. Yeah, I might have more questions later. Actually I just got up and am still pretty tired. But later I may remember more things to ask.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know for the other provinces, but in Quebec, all the surgeries are covered, as well as part of the hormones (they only cost like 20$ a year, or something). Also, they can't fire you, trans people are protected against that.