1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The awkward underwear question.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Etak, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Etak

I've been trying to figure out how I feel the most comfortable expressing myself through clothing, and I've found that for the most part, I prefer clothes from the men's section. My major stumbling block is the underwear. Woman's underwear just feels wrong on my body, so I was hoping to be able to find a slightly more androgynous option. The problem is that I am one of the few people that was born without the ability to wear a tampon, so any underwear I get has to be pad-compatible. In addition to that, underwear with an obvious packet-pouch probably wouldn't be the best either. Can anyone recommend some underwear that is more androgynous, and preferably not horribly overpriced?

I know this is a really awkward question, and I apologize for that. :/

2. GreyArchery

Have you looked into the boy shorts style of womens underwear? I've not tried them myself, but they might give you the androgynous blend and function you're looking for.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy shorts are wonderful. Definitely more androgynous without having the pouch. I find that their are styles that are tighter (and more feminine) and styles that are looser (and less feminine), so try a few.

I love guys briefs or boxer briefs, but the pouch is definitely evident.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most androgynous/unisex racing shorts have built in underwear like a girl's, but if you used that as underwear, it might be like wearing boy's shorts as underwear (just a little shorter)? The options above are probably better, but I though I could mention it just in case.

5. WillowRose

Check out the American Apparel Unisex Baby-Rib Boxer Brief. No package-pocket or front opening.

I learned about them from a couple of "Boyshorts 101" articles over at Autostraddle (which, more generally, has pretty good coverage of masculine-of-center clothing options). So you might check those out.

(Ironically, I'm a male-at-birth person who wears those briefs for nighttime, in order to give things room to, um, breathe without having to put up with the mild dysphoria that the pouch and flap cause me.)