1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents and Haircuts

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AidenHardy, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AidenHardy

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, asked my mum if i can get my hair cut short. I chose a reasonably feminine haircut to show her so that she wouldnt pick up on the gender thing if im showing her a mens hairstyle. Anyway, turns out she wont let me get my hair cut short and wont even pay for a haircut now so im stuck with long girlish hair and massive dysphoria because of it. I dont feel like i can talk to her about anything and i chose the feminine haircut in the hope that if i get it cut slightlnlonger then i'll have the length and be able to work with whats there. So overall i'm feeling crap and trapped in this position my mum has unknowingly put me in.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could just talk to her... that its not your style and it makes you unhappy.
    And that you want to try this out.
    Maybe she would also like someone who is a bit more outgoing and active, this hairstyle would give the impression.
    Besides, the long hairs are impractical... something along those lines...

On a sidenote, you might try a ponytail . Binding them back might relieve disphoria.

(*hug*)

3. JayWalker

JayWalker Guest

Tell her that during the summer it makes your head hot (mine does) or is impractical for any work you do. Maybe you could use an 'it's in fashion' method?

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry about that. I was stuck in that situation for a half-year before I could take action a few days ago, so I completely understand. Are you out to her and didn't pick a gendered haircut so that she won't link it to you being transgender? Or are you still in the closet from her and don't want her asking questions?

I would ask her why she won't let you cut your hair. Since I was having this problem only weeks ago, I talked to my gender therapist about it. She said I should stand up to my mom, as my mom has been the commanding force in my life. You can do this, too. Depending on the reason she doesn't want it cut (my mom had the silly reason of "wanting it to attract boys," though I was out to her already so her reasons were way more complicated than that), you could tell her that you're 18, a legal adult, and you want to get a simple haircut. It's not permanent and it can grow back if desired. Remind her of all this.

Or, if you can drive by yourself legally, go get one by yourself. What's she gonna do, staple it back on?

5. suninthesky

St. Baldrick's Day. Two birds with one stone.

Or she might be thinking about how much it costs to get a short haircut maintained. You could get clippers and do it yourself. That's what I do and it's not too hard. You could even find a guy friend who does his to do it for you.

6. soulcatcher

Shave your hair as a form of protest.

7. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a strict buzz-cut hair routine at the moment, so I definitely know how you feel.. (except backwards of course)

I'm of the same mind as Tai though.. You're 18. Honestly even if she doesn't like you with short hair what can she possibly do about it?

8. Najlen

Its true, you are 18. You could just go and get it cut and ride out the storm. You should be able to feel comfortable. I had the opposite problem for a while- I was growing mine out and my mother wanted me to cut it. I don't think she meant that short though. I have met a couple of people who really want to cut it and don't know why their mothers won't let them. If you can find out her reasoning, then you can always find arguments against it. If you are persistent enough, she should eventually get fed up and let you do it, or else her reasoning will break down. Good luck.

9. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    A good reason to cut your hair could be to possibly donate it to cancer for the making of wigs (if it's long enough)? That's what I'm doing, and not only is it for a good cause, it's also a pretty good excuse to get your hair cut short, your mom might back off if she at least knew it was going somewhere. I mean, why not give your hair to someone who'd enjoy it more than you would?

If you google 'Donating Hair to Cancer' theres usually a website that pops up for whatever non-profit is in your area. I know pantene does it. There's usually an 8 inch minimum requirement for hair length but I know a friend who was able to donate it for less.

10. as porter mentioned, bring up donating it!! that's what I did to get mine cut short, and she was all for me donating it to a good cause :slight_smile: and then when the stylist was doing it after they took the hair I just told her how I wanted it... not how my mom wanted it. at this point its grown out to where my mom wanted it and its only been a few weeks, hair grows really fast. best of luck!! (*hug*)

11. AidenHardy

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've worn a ponytail all my life and it only relieves my dysphoria when i wear a beanie and its ok until i realise i have a ponytail again -_-

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2015 at 08:37 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice guys, i found out her reasonings and she basically doesn't want people to think I'm someone who she doesn't think i am. her words were "based on how you already dress and i don't know if you are or not but people will think you're a lesbian"

honestly, i laughed at that point but i can never talk to my parents about anything serious. she keeps bringing up boyfriends too which is an interesting topic to which i just say 'not likely'. hopefully i'll get there and get the haircut i so desperately need...

12. Youre 18 idk what your income is ill assume its a college bursey or jsa or something. Save up your $ and jyst go get it cut to what you want. You shouldnt have to ask if you can have yiur hair cut at that age. My parents are controlling but that is really pushing itba lil bit. Youre an adult you can do what you like with your hair.

and as others saif you can donate it and shave the rest off or something. :slight_smile:

13. AidenHardy

Out Status:
    Some people
    its more of a silent dictatorship kinda thing...

14. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cut my hair myself one morning, without asking anybody. Sometimes we need to set boundaries between us and the parents. For some stuff, especially when you're 18, you don't need permission.

15. PossumJack

If you think you've got the guts, I would say just cut it off yourself. When she walks in and sees how bad your homemade haircut is, she'll be forced to fix it into an acceptable style.

And I completely understand the "What if people think you're a lesbian" thing. Before I came out, my mom wouldn't let me cut my hair short because apparently my wardrobe "already made me look like a lesbian". What I ended up doing was I asked if I can cut my hair to my shoulders, but then when we arrived at the salon I discreetly told the stylist to make it super short.

Basically, just cut it off then ride out the ensuing storm. From what it sounds like I don't think your mother will be fuming mad about it, she just seems worried about other people making fun of you or something.