1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Ex-Gay" or "Conversion therapy survivors

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PeterNunn, Jan 20, 2015.

1. PeterNunn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my Name is Peter and I am a co-chair with Atlanta Pride. soon we will be hosting a discussion on "ex gay" or "conversion" therapies and the harm it causes.
    I am looking for for stories of people who have survived similar therapies like I did that would be willing to share their stories. If you are more comfortable staying anonymous that is completely fine. I just want short stories of people who have come out the other side to share with people who may not understand the topic.

2. tulipinacup

Have you seen the Sissy Boy Experiment documentary? It's about a man who was signed up for these conversion therapies when he was a little boy which made him depressed and sadly killed himself. It's pathetic that the guy who "treated" him was seen hanging out with a gay prostitute years after the "treatment".
    [YOUTUBE]Q0lZBL2H4nI[/YOUTUBE]

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I don't know if it counts (since I never joined "Courage," though one priest told me that I needed to do that); but I spent 35 years of going to confession every time I did something with another man. I was filled with guilt and shame my whole life. I made some bad life decisions because I thought that I could split out what I did and who I am. I have suffered from a low grade depression (dysthymia) and a couple bouts of major depression, one of which included suicidal ideation. I am now out to myself and some other people. I only accepted my orientation five years ago, and only stopped fighting it a year ago.
    Good luck with what you're doing. Anything that can put a stop to conversion programs is much needed. I hope that you effort also opens some more eyes in the religious community who try through more subtle means to try to get people to suppress their natural sexuality. That can be an even more insidious "conversion program" than the formal ones like Exodus and Courage.

4. PeterNunn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tulipinacup , I'll watch the video. There are a lot of stories like that. There are so many sad stories that have happened from this type of therapy. From Alan Turings extreme chemical treatment, to Leelah Alcorns parents and pastor telling her that she could be fixed. my Goal here is to find Survivors. People who, however damaged, have come out the other side. I want to help people going through the dark times see light at the end of the tunnel

wild side, thank you for your response. I think that your story is a lot like so many peoples who pray, confess, beg to be changed. I'm glad that you finally came to a point of peace just being the person you were always meant to be. I know that the most fulfilling times in my own life were when I had an opportunity to help someone going through something that I have gone through. I hope that you find many opportunities to share your story to younger people that have similar experiences to yours.