1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my friend I might be genderqueer

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cerulean Pirate, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Cerulean Pirate

I really want to tell my best friend that I'm questioning my gender, but I'm scared that she'll judge me or get weirded out. This friend is a very accepting person, but I don't know how she'll react to this. How can I tell her without confusing her or making her feel uncomfortable? She's the only person I would ever trust with this kind of information, so I don't want to screw this up.

2. Jellal

If she is very accepting, as you say, then it should be fine to say to her that you're questioning your gender. Gender is a strange enough concept, I think, that it's only natural to question it and what it means for you personally. The real weakness is being afraid to ask questions—simply accepting things at face value, ignoring the truth of your feelings. If anything, look at this opportunity to say something honest to her as a chance to grow closer as friends. Learning firsthand the willingness of a friend to accept you and let you confide in them could only bolster the strength of your relationship. This way, you can be there for her in return when she needs someone to talk to and confide in.

3. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i started by telling a close friend. its all about how u say it really. they might not get it at first but if u speak from the heart and tell them what's been going on in ur head hopefully she'll see hoe important it is u feel acceptable. i'd say start with something simple, how did u come to the realisation that ur not a boy or a girl? what about the term genderqueer makes u think it could fit who u r on the inside ?