1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Clothes for MTF

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DarkWolf, Jan 22, 2015.

1. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Or non-binary folks looking for women's clothes.

I thought I share this here but basically delia's is having a sale that's going to end soon and they are selling clothes for way cheap. I use to shop there a few years back and I can testify the fact that they have nice selection of pants for woman who are both tall and small waisted. But I have to warn they are juniors and not woman's.

#1 DarkWolf, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Second hand shops could be another source...
    often they are not sorted by gender, so it might be easier to shop...
    and clothes don't change size, as some clothes do when washed for the first time...

(*hug*)

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HauteLook, Plato's Closet and H&M might be resourceful as well. But when in doubt, thrifting is always great!

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2015 at 10:12 PM ----------

Simply Tall, Old Navy, and Long Tall Sally might be helpful too.

4. Lazuri

Personally I have the problem that normal clothes bore me and the only clothes I really want are alternative ones and that makes it really expensive to build a new wardrobe.

5. Just Jess

If they live here in the states, TJ, Ross, Marshal's, etc. It's a step up from goodwill so you'll be able to get some clothes that work together. Especially for us MtF folk and especially starting out, you pretty much need to buy complete outfits from the get go and that's nigh impossible at a normal thrift store. But it's still kind of thrifting.

Up from there. If you have issues with Wal Mart I can understand, Target has really awesome sales too. Plus the people working there I have found are way used to trans folk of all stripes using the changing rooms. Early on I can't recommend these highly enough, since they have tons of cheap necessities like undies, and they often have self check-out.

If you have cash, Torrid or Lane Bryant are amazing.

As far as shoes, Payless really comes through for folks like us. Tons of shoes, boots, heels, wedges, you name it. The best part is, if you are early on, they have the larger women's sizes right across from the larger men's sizes. So you can browse incognito. Although of course, if you do try something on in the store, the people working there will be very awesome and supportive.

Jewelery, I usually just go for cheap stuff at Claires. I missed being able to do that when I was a kid anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Make up, you can get by for a long time with cheap-o ELF stuff. Most of my make-up comes from there. Eventually though, it really pays to get matched and try some stuff on in the store. You may have to go in a couple places if you have black hair like I do, but you'll eventually find someone that can get your complexion looking natural, soft, and clean. Youtube has tons of help learning how to put it on right.

I think that's about it. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hair.

6. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    There are also sometimes trans clothing exchanges. I know there's a permanent one but I'm having trouble finding the url.

7. Maeve

Amazon offers free returns on most clothes, including bras. It's essential to try on bras, and if you don't feel comfortable going into stores (or can't), this is great. I've gotten bras for $20, and I have a really uncommon size.

Eta: if you aren't sure of your bra size or just want suggestions, check out reddit.com/r/abrathatfits. It's a very accepting, open subreddit.

#7 Maeve, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  8. Lazuri

I had this idea the other day. Didn't know there were any already. I wonder if there are any around these parts.

9. Scarlett1970

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all,

I'm new here and busy browsing through the threads.

Thought I would add my little bit as I find buying my femme clothing from the web easy.

I use frequently an online store called everything's five pounds, it's a UK site and as it says on the tin everything is five pounds........ from cute dresses, tops, shoes etc to accessories.

Delivery is quick and plain poly packaged.

Hugs

Scarlett.