1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Times when you feel happy about the way you look

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by crazycat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, there are always going to be more days where you feel like you don't look feminine/masculine/androgynous enough, that's just a normal part of transitioning into who you want to be, but I think it might make everyone feel a little better if they think to themselves about times when they feel they look the way they want to, whether it's after hormonal treatment, or getting your first binder, or trying on your favorite outfit. Just so we all remember that we can look the way we always wanted to.

I tend to love the way I look in my binder, even if my lower body is still curvy and I'm still obviously DFAB. I really like having a flat chest. Add some layers, and some men's pants, and I think I look pretty cool.

2. PossumJack

I remember feeling ecstatic the first time I made a binder out of sports bras for myself. The look of a flat chest felt so *comforting* to me and I didn't even know I was trans then.

It's kind of sad, because I feel like the more I begin to transition, the less I'm happy about my looks. I guess it's because once you start transitioning your own expectations shoot sky-high while reality struggles to catch up to that dream goal of yours.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, after I started exercising, just before starting HRT, I just felt so much better looking in the mirror. I obviously haven't gotten top surgery, but that doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did. I looked in the mirror, and I saw a guy with no hips and abs. I was working out everyday for 1 hour from March to May, so I didn't have any fat in my chest or hips when I started HRT (such a relief!). Now, dysphoria returned a bit (but nowhere near the level it was before I did anything!), but it's really manageable. I have many days where I like what I see in the mirror, even though there are two imperfections I still see when I'm shirtless.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I have the same problem.

The first time I put my binder on was a nice feeling. Every now and then my outfit will all come together and I actually feel like I'm passing and I feel great, but that doesn't happen too often.

5. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    It felt really nice yesterday when I wore my binder to class. I wear full length one which does a nice job hiding my waist to hips ratio. And with a shirt on I look flat chested. Now if only I could be happy with how my body feels.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yesterday I dressed up (in "male clothes"), looked in the mirror.. I looked perfect.

7. Lazuri

I actually realized the other day when looking in the mirror that I look pretty feminine even without makeup now that I have long hair. That made me feel really good.

8. Jellal

Every time I tackle a new place to shave, I feel a little better about how I look in the mirror. They're just baby steps, but they make me much more comfortable, little by little.

9. DoriaN

I still struggle with how I appear in photos or maybe even video, but the mirror is usually very kind to me.
    It really helps when the inner image starts to reflect better.

10. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way, I read this huge thing about how the camera skews how you look. For starters, it's taking a 3d person/object and turning it 2d, which stretches the subject, making the subject appear heavier or wider. It also is the reverse of how you see yourself in the mirror, which distorts a few of your features. Also, angles can make all the difference. Very few people look good at every angle. Lighting too, cameras can't completely mimic how our eyes take in light, so the lighting will often look different on camera than in person (anyone who's ever seen something cool, tried to take a picture, and it looks way lamer can attest to that)

So yeah, trust the mirror.