1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I bad to be annoyed about people using labels wrong?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ctrl alt delete, Jan 24, 2015.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SO I've noticed a few people on ******* using terms like genderqueer and woman. or two spirit and woman, for some reason it's only "women" I've noticed doing this.

I feel like an a hole getting annoyed about this because I'm not too tied to those terms anyway. But I feel like they're undermining the entire idea of being a genderqueer person if they use it as just another badge. I know when I was figuring it out I used the term genderqueer the wrong way a lot as well! so yeah. . .

what do you guys think?

2. Romi

I don't think you're in the wrong to get irritated by something like this. Let's face it, I get worked up over a lot of things that really don't make a difference in the end. It's just who I am. I can understand your irritation on the subject, though.

I refer to myself as genderqueer, but often times due to those around me in my life, I will occasionally call myself by something binary. It's not that I don't recognize the difference and the label. Also, labels will have different meanings to different people, even those labels that are seemingly set in stone. So...there's no telling.

But if it annoys you, it annoys you. So long as you're not going around shouting at someone who calls themselves trans that they're wrong because such and such, then you should be fine. Heh.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I've noticed this as well.... It is a little annoying, and kind of defeats the purpose of the label "genderqueer".

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Definition of Terms Gender Equity Resource Center

Genderqueer

A person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman,
    is between or beyond genders,
    or is some combination of genders.
    This identity is usually related to or in reaction to the social construction of gender, gender stereotypes and the gender binary system. Some genderequeer people identify under the transgender umbrella while others do not.

According to this definition it could be some gender plus something else.

So there would be no contradiction.

(*hug*)

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I get kind of annoyed by this too. Mostly just confused though, because then I'm just wondering what the label even means. I do get annoyed when people use two-spirit though, because I thought that was a spiritual thing only for Native Americans, not some identity for random people to use. (I'm not an expert though so I might be wrong on that)

6. Romi

:eusa_clap

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This might tie in to this:
    this is from wikipedia
    Their dress is usually mixture of men’s and women’s articles
    and they are seen as a separate or third gender.
    From a rights-based perspective, third sex / gender options should be voluntary, providing trans people with a third choice about how to define their gender identity. Those identifying as a third sex / gender should have the same rights as those identifying as male or female.

As usual, there are no fixed definitions.

(*hug*)

8. Romi

That's because genderqueer is nothing fixed at all.

Gay is fixed. Lesbian is fixed. Straight is fixed. Asexual, too. I won't say bisexual is exactly fixed, but to some degree it is. Sexuality is much easier to pin down than gender and I feel like it always will be. But gender...

Even if you are a cis man... the qualifications for what counts as a man vary so greatly across the board.

Genderqueer is a sort of umbrella term. A word used to describe a plethora of genders. So I don't think it's exactly fair to tell someone they've used it incorrectly.

But as I said earlier, be annoyed all you want.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The post was meant as reference for two spirit.
    Wasn't so clear without headline.

(*hug*)

#9 jay777, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015