1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today in trans history: or, trans role models

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by clockworkfox, Jan 25, 2015.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've noticed a lot of us have been feeling especially dysphoric and hopeless lately, myself included. To counter that, I would like to propose this thread. So often we focus on the negative aspects of being trans, on the dangers and the question of acceptance, on the innocent victims and the martyrs. On an individual level, we focus on what's wrong, or on feeling artificial, or the struggles we go through just coming to terms with ourselves - it's something we all need to talk about at one time or another, and this is a support forum, so by no means do I mean to discourage open discussion of these things. That's why EC is here, so we can find support.

But I was thinking about trans people that lead full, successful lives. Why don't we ever talk about them and their accomplishments? Why do we act like they don't exist? I sort of figure, maybe we could benefit from thinking about these people - they're proof that the trans narrative isn't just "people judge you a lot and it sucks and then you die".

So to start, I'd like to talk about Dr. James Barry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. James Barry was born Margaret Bulkley in the late 1700s. He lived his entire adult life as a man despite being born female. Under his male indentity, he attended the University of Edinburgh Medical School, and went on to be a surgeon for the British military until 1864.

In practice, he was very skilled, and was noted to have good bedside manner. One of his most notable accomplishments was the first successful caesarian section by a British surgeon where both the mother and child survived the procedure. He was very opinionated about unnecessary suffering, a noted vegetarian, and was insistent about better living conditions for the poor, and better sanitary conditions over all. He fought avidly for the treatment and humanity of the imprisoned, lepers, and the mentally ill. In his travels, he implemented sweeping health reforms. However, he was also argumentative, impatient, and tactless, and was punished several times for insubordination during his military career. He started several pistol duels when comments were made about his fair features or high-pitched voice, and was noted to be an excellent duelist. He also gained notoreity due to his intimate relationship with Governor Lord Charles Somerset, which had them both branded as homosexual.

After his death in 1865, it was discovered that Barry was female. When questioned, Barry's doctor claimed he didn't know, stating that he never questioned Barry's anatomy, and instead presumed he was possibly a hermaphrodite (really). The British Army sealed Barry's records, considering the whole situation to be embarrasing, but news still got out. In spite of the discovery, Barry's death certificate marked him as male, and he was buried per his request as Dr. James Barry, not as Margaret Bulkley.

Since Barry was quick to defend his male identity with pistols, and he kept his sex a secret for over 50 years, and the British Army had every intent to keep it a secret for 100 years after his death, I think it's safe to say he probably identified as a man.

2. Fogspace

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Lynn Conway, my personal hero. Being trans is part of me, but I don't want it to define me. I want to get over this hurdle, and move on with my life. What ever happened to having other goals; wanting to change the world or be president? Suddenly, now that we are trans are biggest goal is to fit in, and live a mundane life? That didn't even qualify as a goal before! I don't want that, no, I refuse to limit myself to that! That's not what lynn Conway did, and that's not what I'm going to do either! I still want to move mountains, and I want to do it as the person I am!

Btw, if you don't know who lynn Conway is, look her up. She is amazing!!

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I can think of several famous trans women from history/present day but only a few trans men, I wonder why there aren't more :confused:

Just recently I heard about Kye Allums, a basketball player, and the first opens trans NCAA Division 1 college athlete.

Personally I find Laura Jane Grace really cool because I'm really into music so I like seeing musicians that I like that are also trans, and hearing songs about being trans.

4. PossumJack

Ben Barres is a badass professor of neurology at Stanford, and also the first openly trans scientist in the US National Academy of Sciences.

He's an excellent role model who proves transitioning doesn't mean giving up your hopes of a successful career, and that it doesn't define you as a person. He's also a feminist who gives people a fresh perspective of sexism from the point of a transman who experienced discrimination firsthand before his transitioning.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Matt Kailey. This is more personal for me since I actually emailed him back and forth for a time shortly before he died. He helped me through a pretty difficult time in my life and i wish I had gotten to meet him.

He was an advocate and a writer. Ran a small, intimate blog. He was one of the first trans men I knew about. His goal was reaching out and helping trans people- whether they were new to transitioning or had been on the road for a while- feel a little less alone in the world.

I was devastated when I found out he died in his sleep. He had heart failure. Left way too soon.

6. DoriaN

Wow!

I have little else to say except admiration.

7. anonym

anonym Guest

Unfortunately, I don't know any famous trans people. However, I have seen 3 or 4 trans women recently out and about in my area whom I consider to be equally important as role models because they are actually transitioning in my local area. This is not something you would have seen a few years back and I really admire their courage.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard about a musician named Billy Tipton who lived stealth for over 50 years. He cut ties with all his previous family, except two cousins who knew of his identity. He had at least three lovers who didn't know of his trans status (stealth level: level king). He told them that he had a car accident that destroyed his genitalia and that he needed his ''binder'' (can't confirm it was really a binder, but served the same purpose) to keep his ribs in place. Hell, he adopted kids who didn't even know! Then, at the age of 74, he had a stroke (he refused to see doctors). In a effort to reanimate him, they cut the binder and discovered he had male anatomy. His then wife tried to prevent the story about his anatomy getting out by cremating him, but his youngest son gave it away to the media. He was reported transgender by his cousins, saying that he didn't want to be male because jazz was a ''man's world'' (like certain sites try to say), but because he truly identified as a man.

I mean, if someone can have SEX with someone pre-op and STILL be stealth, there's not much things that should scare us about trying to go stealth xD