1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria from body hair?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Seige, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Seige

I used to love shaving my legs, since it made me feel pretty, and sexy, which it still does, but lately its become somewhat of a chore, because im forced to do it so often. I have to shave me legs/face every day, or else itll get stubbly, and I have to shave my other body hair regions (chest, armpits, uhm.... Otherplaces) about twice a week. Its begining to get to the point where its making me dysphoric, because I know girls dont have to shave near as often as this.

My legs also get itchy after I shave them, so its a pain to have to shave them everyday, because it makes them itch so much. Especially along my thigh. I get razor burn or something (tiny little red dots where the hairs grow it) so its even painfull some of the time.
    I definetly want two keep shaving, but does anyone have anything I could do to make it less of a chore? Idk if anything will make them not itch, sinceive tried so much, unsuccessfully.

2. Lazuri

Maybe you should try waxing to just really rip the hair out by the roots. It should keep longer. Just... Bite down on something while you do it.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally understand. I hate my body hair! (*hug*)

4. Seige

I dont know how I could get access to wax though. I doubt my parents would buy that for me, and itd be awkward to explain. Id love to wax though.

5. Kelp Krunch

I know girls, myself included, that do have to shave everyday, so you're certainly not alone in that. There's aftershave-type stuff that helps with the bumps and stuff. But at least for me, if you're using a good razor and shaving cream and then moisturizer, the itchiness isn't too bad.

I've heard that hormones help with slowing the growth of body hair, but I can't confirm that. And besides other expensive things like waxing, laser and electrolysis, I can't really think of things to make it less of a chore. I totally get where you're coming from. I'm still in that stage where shaving and all that is exciting, but eventually you get off that high and it becomes one of the chores of being a woman, something I was warned repeatedly about lol.

But at least in the winter I've been skipping a lot since I don't necessarily show off my legs. I can't be the only one, you'll probably hear a lot of girls do the same as well haha.

6. Lazuri

I dunno how it is in Alaska, but here in Sweden you can get waxing strips at pharmacies. I've no idea how much it costs, though.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

Hormones do reduce hair growth and usually converts body hair from normal coarse hair to so called "baby hairs."

7. Seige

The problem would be buying them, since idk if my parents would approve. It would definetly be awkward to ask for though.

8. DoriaN

Go into walmart and buy some strips (y)

(Unless you have no money)

9. WillowRose

Agreed: I despise my body and facial hair.

So, I've been through a series of laser treatments on my face: that has thinned things out considerably, but does nothing for the grey/white ones. So I'm gritting my teeth and starting electrolysis next week.

I never have had real heavy hair on my legs, so I'm shaving them once every three or four weeks. The hairs on my chest and belly really bother me, so I've been having them waxed. I may have to give up that luxury in order to afford the electrolysis on my face.

But that doesn't answer your question. Some things you can do include: Make sure that the skin you're shaving is both well-moisturized an reasonably well exfoliated. Soak for a while in the tub or shower before you start shaving. Use a fresh razor each time. Try a "delicate skin" or "anti-bump" shaving cream. Use a non-alcohol based cream or lotion after shaving (if the label says "soothing," that's a good sign). Just some ideas.

I sure understand the concerns about getting access to some of these things while under your parents' eagle eyes. But they surely can't object to your asking for "sensitive-skin" shaving cream, after-shave and body lotion! (So far, I haven't noticed much difference between men's and women's versions of such things aside from fragrance and price, so just tell them that shaving is really irritating your face, and the winter weather is really drying out your skin, and could they please get you some products?)

#9 WillowRose, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. Seige

Ill try and find a way to get some strips. Dunno how though. Ever since my parents found out I was buying myself nail polish and stuff, I havnt been able to shop much on my own.

11. Lazuri

Have a female friend get it for you.

12. Seige

Also, arnt wax strips for smaller areas(armpits, genitals, chest, etc.) and not for larger areas, like your face, or legs? Dont they make wax you like, heat up and pour on your legs? Can you still buy that at pharmacies or walmart?

13. Lazuri

Wax strips are predominantly for legs, but you can use them on whatever area you can get them onto. Do not recommend doing it on the face, though.

14. WillowRose

From everything I've been told, waxing the facial hair is a big no-no. If nothing else, horribly painful.

15. Seige

So face is a resounding no, but what about the uhm.... "Back" areas? Like uh..... "Lower back". ia it safe there?