1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hairstyle and Passing?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by 15case12, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 15case12

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi! I'm Case! So right now I have short hair about 3-4 inches lomg. It's reay grown out. I've been wanting to get a haircut soon. I had 2 questions. First is whether or not I should go to a barber or salon. Where I go now(a salon) is pretty good and cuts my hair how I want. However since I'm not publically out, I get charged more than men. do you think that a barber may make my hairstyle more masculine and be cheaper? Do you suggest a salon or barber? Also, the haircut I want is attactched below. I am a bit concerned about it being too short or showing off my hairline/head shape. Do you think that it is a good passing cut? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. iiimee

Hey! I'm Chase btw, funny we are both trans guys with similar names. And to tell you if it passes, I need to see your face. Decent haircut though. I personally like salons because they get haircuts right more often. My picture is on my profile in my albums, and I improved a lot I think. A haircut really changes your face, so be careful k? Getting a short cut doesn't work for everyone, but I think that's a good haircut!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also think that this is a good haircut. I would suggest going to a different place than normal. Often times, places will try to "fem up" a hairstyle, since they think that you are female. Having a photo helps with this sometimes, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You pass very well already.

About the haircut, I guess the best is to be very clear from the beginning : You are after all the customer.

Find a good hairdresser, let him get to know you and your style, became a faithful customer. I got mine cut in a normal place, always the same guy, and never had a problem, appart from his raised eyebrows at the beginning, but I can live with it.

To charge you more because of your gender is a form of discrimination. If they insist, find a better place to put your money in. That's what I do.