1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Therapy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tardis221B, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Tardis221B

I think I might be trans, but I'm not certain.

I would ideally love to see a gender therapist soon to help sort things out and make sense of everything, but I don't have that luxury while studying abroad. I will most certainly make an appointment once I return to the states, but for the time being, I'm just trying to have fun abroad, and not let my gender/sexuality become an issue. But it is hard not to let things get to me...

E.g. the study abroad group being called "les filles," the girls talking about hot guys, boyfriends, and how boys will be boys... and then there's little queer me who's girl crazy (and when I am attracted to men I feel more like a gay man), just awkwardly sitting there with the group of (presumably all) straight girls. I'll tag along with the group when they are shopping and end up in a lingerie store and I feel so uncomfortable, like I'm intruding and invading their privacy, I feel like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I got dressed up for dinner the other night, and i had to wear make-up because it was a formal dinner, and I felt like I was in drag. I feel like I'm living a double life. And the only person who knows, my guy best friend, he's acting like I never told him anything, and that hurts. I told him in person that I'm agender, and then later had to come out again via letter because he forgot... but weeks later after he's read it; nothing. We still chat, but I miss having someone who I can vent my issues to... someone to talk to about this with, not someone who will pretend that if they ignore it it will go away....

I want to be taken seriously, but my "feminine" interests and hobbies invalidate my gender identity as a non female... especially since I'm female bodied.

So my question is what are the sorts of questions and things that are asked in gender therapy? Or similar questions that I could try journaling about on my own to help better understand myself?

I think if I have a better understanding of the core of who I am, even if I still am seen as a girl by everyone else, having some internal clarity would be immensely helpful.

I think I already know myself pretty well, I'm just afraid of what fully accepting it means. It would flip my world upside down. I mean I'm not extremely unhappy living as girl, so why should I make my life more complicated. I don't want to cause my friends and family confusion or pain. And I'm also terrified that I will loose those closest to me... I don't think I'd ever be able to come out... And I just can't bring myself to cut my hair yet, the thing I'm most dysphoric about, because I'm afraid to face the suspicion I know that it will confirm.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in the process of trying to get in contact with a gender therapist myself so I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately. :/

I just wanted to say I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm starting to think or realize I guess that I am more of a guy than a girl, but I am fine living like this. And my family is not going to react well if I ever come out so why would I risk losing them? So yeah, we're here for you and if possible once I start talking to a therapist maybe I can send some of those questions your way.

P.S.: try looking up online therapy! I've got a hook-up here so the therapist I'm trying to contact is specifically for foreign residents that are trans and gender variant. There might be something like that in your part of the world too!

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  4. Stacy in MA

I'm sure it is different for everyone, but for me, my therapist has been more of a sounding board than anything else. She makes some recommendations, and sometimes gives me things/questions to think/write about between sessions, but more than anything she has been someone I could talk to who understands. This is especially important in that I don't really have anyone else I can talk to unfiltered or without having to consider the cost of their keeping things secret for me.

As far as specific questions goes, it is hard to think of them as mostly things just flowed out of general conversation and were somewhat specific to my particular situation (wife and small kids, not planning to transition), but if you like, I can try to go back through some things I wrote to see if I can find any questions/topics I think might be helpful (if you can leave me a note on my wall if you are interested it will help me not forget). Best of luck, I have found gender therapy a great comfort and help.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello there, I think I remember you. You did posted before your travel to France, right? :slight_smile:

This is the story of my youth/life. The most wonderful and awful night of my life as a teenager was as I slept next to my best girlfriend at school... Same bed.
    And don't get me started about the showers after p.e. ... Just one single experience was enough.

On such situations the only thing that helps is to be aware you are a man wearing women's clothes.
    There was a tv show called 'Quantum Leap'. Maybe you'd like to check some episodies out. Think of yourself as the guy on the show. It's a trick I do and it helps me a lot, even if I'm aware that my trick is a bit... Weird.

It could be he is under shock, and therefore he doesn't want to talk about it. Don't expect much from him, and don't force him to talk about your stuff.
    By the way you can hit me anytime you feel like ranting/venting.

I get what you mean, because I look very much the young boy next door, even with glasses and all (when I'm working), plus I'm very well manered IRL : Soft, calm, melodic voice, lots of "thank you"s and eye contact... I like the game of seduction, and play it for fun everytime I've got a chance.

This is considered feminine, but I refuse to conform to anyone's standards, specially about being a man.

You don't have to prove anyone anything : You know who you are, that's enough.

Just get a haircut.
    This was bothering you before your travel, and it still is... Unless you solve the problem, it'll be there forever and ever, and it might get even worse. In any case it's not doing you no good.
    I have the feeling you want to do it, badly.
    The new look doesn't need to be radical : A bob would do the job (very french by the way...)

... And when you are on your own, you can style your bob with gel, and have fun experimenting with clothing and so on. You should really give it a try, just for fun.

I used to feel like you, I didn't wanted any troubles and I didn't wanted it to be true... And precisely that was pointing to the issue I've been running away from years. There was something there that I needed to explore. It takes some guts, because it seems risky... Actually the risk is not doing it and spending your time wondering "what if"... Not a good way to live your life. There is a lot of elderly out there complaining of all the things they didn't tried when they were younger.

Grab the bull by the horn, remember it is YOUR bull, it belongs to you, and you should be proud (*hug*)

6. Jellal

I've been in therapy for two weeks now, so I can give you some advice about the sorts of questions I've been asked, and the things my therapist as said. Hope some of it helps you!

-What would you be most comfortable having other people see you as? What personal identity would make you happiest, what do you feel best describes you? It doesn't have to be a proper label, either. No need to confine yourself to a word, gender's a vast spectrum. So if you haven't already, write down your thoughts and read them clearly back to yourself.

-As changing beings we're in a constant state of flux, evolving from one moment to the next. You shouldn't be afraid of personal change, we have a responsibility to ourselves that should not go ignored. Are you holding back because you're afraid of the reactions of others? If nobody were to take your change badly, would you still hesitate to change?

-What steps have you taken, if any, to experiment with your comfort in belonging to a gender which is different than your biological sex? They can be the littlest things. First and foremost, your comfort ought to be your concern. I would say that if there is something causing you dysphoria, i.e. your long hair, then rid yourself of it and see how it makes you feel. If you're worried about people being suspicious, consider suspicion the training version of people knowing you actually identify as something other than what you were assigned at birth. This will give you a good measure of who will stand by you through your differences.

-Consider what you can do to build closeness with those who matter most to you, so you can be sure of their support. Once again, going through with small changes to make you feel more comfortable and less dysphoric is a good way to steadily gauge the reactions of your friends/family and whether they will stand by you and the changes you decide to make.

7. Tardis221B

Thanks everyone for your responses they have been very helpful.

Oui! I am in France, the Bourgogne region. And my host family is wonderful. And I'm very happy because it seems like I ended up with one of the more liberal of the families,
    that would have been very difficult to be with a homophobic family.

Haha, cool I will. Yeah I catch myself doing that too. It’s those times when I feel most centered in my masculinity and confident in my gender identity, that I’m feel most confident. I notice when I think like that in social situations I'm much more present, confident, and happy. But for the most part so far right now my brain is so focused speaking French almost 24/7 that my brain can't even think about gender/ the misperception of my gender in social situations, which is when the dysphoria is the worst for me. So its been really good. Some things still get to me, but I’d rather focus on the language.

Thanks, yeah, thats a good idea. I'm just leaving it be for now. Maybe I'll mention it again when I see him in person in like 6 months. Last Friday he told me he hadn’t read it because of work, I was fine with that I just wanted to know he'd seen it, then he told me he would read it that evening… since then not one mention of it… I know that these things take time, but its just a sad realization when your best friend doesn’t quite have your back. I’ve still got my best female friend, but for some reason I’m less comfortable telling her. Probably because she’s known me for almost 7 years now, versus the 1.5 years that my guy friend has known me. And thanks for the offer, its much appreciated (*hug*)

Thanks (*hug*) Yeah, I mean a lot of my characteristics are quite masculine, but things like dressing up as princesses growing up, playing with Barbies, using lots of hug emoji's, and still today loving singing Disney songs; I feel like people (especially my family) would use those to invalidate who I am, even though those things are different than gender. I think its just difficult for people who's gender and gender expression align for them to separate the two.

Yea, I really do want to... funny thing is even a bob doesn't seem right. It seems like it would get in the way more than long hair in a ponytail/bun... and I'd feel like a pre-pubescent boy with shaggy hair. I'm leaning towards pixie right now. I think I'd bring a picture with a female haircut to the coiffures just to avoid questions and looks.

I'm debating wether or not I should mention my thinking about cutting my hair to my female BFF or not... or just send her a pick after.

Thanks for the inspiration, I really think I might take your advice and cut my hair. I think some of the girls in my group are thinking of doing it as well, but I don't think they are quite as nervous as I am. :wink:

#7 Tardis221B, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jellal is spot on here, and pretty much described what I've been asked.

All three people I've seen who have worked with trans people since I was in the hospital are the absolute chillest and laid back people I've been around which a breath of fresh air from what I used to be around. This might vary from place to place, but I'm sure you'll be okay.

9. Tardis221B

@Daydreamer1: Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I'm going to try to type out a response to Jellal's questions/answer sometime soon. I thought those seemed like really great questions, I've even been thinking about them a bit on my own.

And thats great that they were super laid back. Yeah, I'm not sure how the LGBT centers in france are, there's one in the little (medium sized) town I'm in called Cigales, but I'm not sure if they also have rescoures for trans people or not...

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I haven't had the best experiences with gender therapy but that's really what you've got to keep in mind. Research is imperative. Try to see if you can talk to any other trans people in your area and see who they recommend.

When I went to gender therapy, I was living in a relatively small (yet liberal) town at the time.

Now my therapist was actually FTM as well. So I didn't have any problems with him as far as actual gender therapy. He was just a bit of a whack job, blaming autism on food additives and suggesting I visit a gay bathhouse after being assaulted.

But that's another story.

Most good gender therapists will try to help you understand how you see yourself, whether or not transition is right for you, and help you connect with resources in the area.

11. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been to gender therapy, but I found some questions on the internet that helped me sort things out. Here there are, I hope they can help you.

Questions

Imagine you could start life over, right from the moment you were born. Knowing everything you know now, you get to choose which sex you are born. What choice would you make? Why did you make that choice? What might be better about your life as the sex you chose? What might be worse about your life as the sex you chose?

Now try a slight twist on your hypothetical: Imagine you could start life over, right from the moment you were born. Knowing everything you know now, you get to choose to change one and only one of two things. (1) you can change the sex you're born as or (2) you can change your feelings so you never have any gender identity issues. That is, if you might be a Female-to-Male transsexual you can choose to be been boy or be born as a girl without ever feeling you are or should be a boy.

Most people are gender-schematic. That's a psychology term for people's tendency to divide people into boys and girls. Thinking back, try to remember a time where somebody of your target sex said, "Oh you just think/feel that way because you're a man/woman." How do you feel about being grouped that way? Did this cause you any hurt feelings? How did you respond? In general, how gender schematic are you? That is, do you often say things like "boys are É and girls are É" or do you try to minimize the groupings others make by saying things like, "maybe boys and girls are different like you say but it's not a very big difference."

Have you ever purposely dressed as or purposely behaved like your target sex? Did you do this in a 'big' way or a 'small' way, or both at different times? For an example take on of my personal 'small' ways like I wore big poofy schrunchies to hold back my long hair for several years before I ever considered transitioning. An example of a 'big' way is to go out for the day (or longer) presenting as your target sex. What motivated you to do these things? If you haven't done anything like this, why not?

Have you ever been accused of purposely dressing or purposely behaving like your target sex even though you weren't intentionally doing that? Also, has somebody ever pointed out how an aspect of your behavior is like your target sex even though you weren't aware of that? How did that make you feel? What did you think? Have you ever taken steps not to have traits like your target sex? For example, I used to keep my hands folded behind my back once somebody explicitly told me how girlish my hand gestures are.

During your early childhood (before puberty) what were your friends like? Describe your best friends. Were they boys or girls? What were you favorite types of play? When you played with toys 'meant' for your biological sex, did you play with them in the typical way? For example, I used to have matchbox cars (a stereotypically boyish toy) which I played with in a way that personified them as friends and family. It was only in the last few years when studying developmental psychology that I found out fantasy play like this is more typical of girls. What do your friend choices and activity choices from youth tell you about whom you are. Were there activities you were forbidden to do, that you really wanted to do? Why were you forbidden to do that? How did you respond?

Do you say things to yourself like, I'm not really a transsexual because I can't identify with the definition: "man trapped in a woman's body" or "woman trapped in a man's body." If you're saying that, you might consider the possibility that these are just pop-culture cliches, not definitions. There definitely are transsexual who say things like there's something "deep inside" them that tells them that they are a boy or girl. But there are also transsexuals who don't feel that way. You might consider finding out how other people think or feel about their transsexuality.

Do you say things to yourself like, "It's too late for me to transition", "I'm too old", or "If only I could go back to (some earlier point in my life) then I would transition." If you say things like that you might consider the possibility that you're making a classic reasoning error called "the fallacy of sunk cost." I wrote another essay on this topic which you can read in my "living life" section.

Everybody has lots of identities and gender identity is only one of them. For example, I have very strong feelings about being a scientist. I feel there's something scientists share in common and it's different form the way non-scientists usually are. "Scientist" is one of my identities. What are your identities? Which ones are most important to you. Are you willing to change your sex to affirm your gender identity? How might a sex change influence your other identities? For example, I was scared I might not be able to become a scientist anymore if I transitioned.

Do you really want to be the opposite sex or do you want to be a 'fantasy' of the opposite sex? Everybody has fantasies about what their life might be like if they make different decisions but often reality turns out to be a lot more mundane than we imagine. Have you considered realistically what you'll gain and lose by transitioning? Try this exercise: fold a sheet of paper into four sections and label them "pro-male", "con-male", "pro-female", and "con-female." Now write as many things as you can think of for each group. For example, under "con-female" write all the things you can think of that might be bad about being thought of as female.

Do you have "gender dysphoria" (i.e. you feel there's something really bad about you being perceived as your biological sex) or do you have "gender euphoria" (i.e. you feel there's something really great about you being perceived as your target sex). You might have both. If you don't honestly have gender dysphoria you might be a bit more cautious about the possibility you're not being realistic about your fantasies.

Do you feel there's anything wrong with being a gay man, lesbian woman, or a cross-dresser? If you do, consider if you're trying to cope with your fears about which you really are by believing you might be a transsexual. It's completely okay if you have secret fears of any of these groups. Most people do because of the way societies stigmatize these groups. I just hope you'll take some time to explore each of these groups. You'll probably find that all parts of the queer community include people you'll like and people you won't. You'll find people in each of these groups her are unbelievably nice and others who are completely obnoxious. If you spend enough time with any of these groups, you might see how diverse each group is and how they're just like everybody else.

12. Tardis221B

Thanks again everyone, think I'm going to try to type out my answers to some of these questions and then I'll post it and maybe people can give feedback? :shrug:

Well first off, I tell myself I'm not trans, but then I write things like this short story/stetch, without any research, and with out much effort at all...its just based on personal experience:

The tile was cold against my palms as I pressed them against the cool surface. My arms shook and I looked away from the mirror. I tried to steady myself, to catch my breath, but I couldn’t.

I ran my hands through my long blonde hair and felt sick to my stomach. I looked away, but when I moved my head, my gaze shifted to the gentle curves of my hips and chest. My breath quickened, and I fumbled through my dresser. I grabbed some material and wrapped it around my chest, tighter and tighter, flattening it until I almost couldn’t breathe. I paused and looked in the mirror again. I was uncomfortable, but I could feel my anxiety dropping, until suddenly it spiked again when I began to realize what was happening.

No. It can’t be. I can’t be. I must be wrong. What the hell am I thinking? I’m a beautiful girl, at least people tell me “I’m a beautiful young lady”, that “I look like an actress,” that “other girls are jealous of me,” and that “I’ve been blessed with a beautiful slim womanly figure.” No, I must be wrong.

I stared into the mirror, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t see that girl that everyone else saw. I wanted to so badly, to just be normal, to simply recognize my own reflection, but no matter how hard I tried I could only see a corpse, a shell of a person; it wasn't me. It's never been me.

I looked blankly at the lifeless face reflected back at me, and swallowed my tears. Why did I have to be the one to live this nightmare, why couldn’t I just have been a girl? I clenched my hands over my scalp, and glanced at the pair of scissors next to me.

No. NO, I need to stop thinking like that. That’d be a huge mistake; I’d regret it, it would raise eyebrows; I don’t want to cause trouble. I don’t really hate my image that much. I’m just imagining things. It’s really not that bad. Everyone tells me its beautiful, that I’m beautiful, why would I want to change that? Why would I want to make my life more difficult? I can be happy like this, right?

But when I glanced up again at the reflection staring back at me, for a brief moment I saw myself, really saw myself. And it wasn’t the face that I never can quite recognize, but instead a scared little boy who never grew up. He appeared to be forever entombed in a prepubescent state, hidden in a body that the world saw as female. There was a look of saddens and pain that I saw in his eyes, in my eyes, that told me all that I needed to know.

Hands shaking, I reached over picked up the scissors. I pulled a lock of hair away from my head, placed it between the blades, and cut. Long strands fell to the ground and filled the sink, and with each strand that was cut, the chains holding me back were unlocked.

13. Tardis221B

A few other things that make me believe that I might be trans-nuetral... and maybe even trans-masculine:

When I think of romantic relationships, I have a very hard time imagining myself in a lesbian relationship, I would be a okay dating a girl who identified as bi, but for some reason I can't quite relate to lesbians. When I imagine said relationship with the girl, I can't really picture my gender.

And on the same leaf, I feel like my relationships with a woman wouldn't be "gay." But when i do have feelings for guys, it feels more like a gay relationship. The idea of me dating a man is far more queer than if I were to date a woman. And on the same note, my crushes on guys have always felt "forbidden" like I shouldn't have them, maybe because i see myself as a guy? So, my feelings I have for my straight guy friends are extremely complicated and confusing... Do I want to be them? Want them? And I could be with them, but that would be completely lying to them, because even though I appear so, i'm not really a girl:eusa_doh:

Further, I despise the idea that I could become pregnant, but simultaneously disappointed that I can't father children. Recently I starting daydreaming of being a father, and playing with my kids, I had a very hard time picturing that when I try to see myself as female.

Its even stranger because I don't mind my female body, bikinis, or the occasional formal dress, and I even enjoy it a bit. Generally I tend to prefer female clothes that are more masculine.

Being in a group of 'all' women, is extremely uncomfortable for me, especially when they start talking about how girls are better, the "we" need to stick together, or how boys are "insert some stereotype." I feel like such an intruder. And even now in France as my French improves, constantly hearing the group being called "les filles" or being with my host mom and her female friends when they start talking about boys vs girls, as if its only girls present, I can feel my pulse skyrocket.

I'm so much calmer when I'm around guys my age, and even more so when I'm able to think of myself as one of the guys. Whenever i hear Katy Perry's song "one of the boys, I've never understood it when she sings the 'I don't want to be one of the boys..." I tend to think in response, I wish I was seen as one of the boys... And then every time someone says something or I catch a glance of my reflection I come crashing back to reality.

(it also bugs me that someone once told me my writing style was very feminine. The person reading my story - written from a 3rd person mans perspective - thought it seemed like something a teenage girl would think, and that angered so much, because I think of myself as male. What about more openly feminine men?)

14. Polka Dots

Wow, wow, wow! You weren't kidding, Tardis221B; I could've written this thread, myself. I don't even know where to start replying.

First off, I empathize. Immensely. When I'm attracted to a man, I feel more like a gay (well, bisexual in my case) man, and with women... well, I think your "wolf in sheep's clothing" reference resonates with me, too. Even in high school I felt like a spy when I'd accompany my female friends to the mall -- a spy who would've happily carried their bags, I might add. In my mind, when I fantasize about women, I'm in an opposite-sex pairing, not a lesbian one. And guess what? Growing up, I was just "one of the guys." I had a lot of bromances with them and they got me, I got them. I felt... at home.

I'm sorry your friend acts like you've never came out to him. Please know I would be more than happy to listen to you vent via PM. I, for one, have felt the way I've felt for over twenty years (I'm 30) and while there have been periods where I repressed my frustrations, the older I get the more I know the ache in my heart will not go away on its own.

I know what you mean about having some "feminine" hobbies that interfere with how you're perceived. I customize ABJDs (I don't know if you're familiar with that acronym), and there's nothing more "stereotypically girlish" than dolls. To help relieve some of my dysphoria I actually customized a doll to look the way I appear in my head (male), so now whenever I get depressed I peek inside my cabinet and remind myself "Yeah, baby. That's me."

Silly? Probably, but having that physical representation helps.

Also --- I grew out my hair for over ten years and earlier this year cut 17" off. It still grazes my chin, but I was in awe over the joy I felt just by lopping my locks off. I hope your haircut (when you get it) satisfies you, too.

~~~

A question for you: How do you react when you're referred to as male (if that has happened to you yet)? I posted my own answer to this question earlier in another thread and thought I'd share it with you, too.

Would you react similarly?

Many, many hugs,

Dots

#14 Polka Dots, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  15. Tardis221B

Dots :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it (*hug*)

I'm so glad i stumbled upon your question. This morning I woke feeling more female leaning and I felt okay'ish with it, but part of me was disappointed. I think its was more likely that I'm trying to talk myself out of a haircut, than being gender fluid. Also constantly being around a group of rather stereotypical girls, and being considered one, is starting to do that psychological thing to me where you start unconsciously mimicking the group and convincing yourself you are like them even if your not..... yeah I really really don't want that to happen. At home when I'm with my close friends in the states, I'm rarely referred to with my gender, and I love that. SO here always being called the girls, It almost feels like I'm being hypnotized to believe I'm female....

To answer you question, I honestly don't know because thats never happened to me. Once online someone confused me for a guy a few months back before I realized anything, but I hesitated before I corrected them. And I find myself going back now and reading the descriptions of me with he pronouns and smiling.

And I was infuriated when my study abroad advisor was handing out visa forms to the group of "all girls" and he had checked of gender and made copies because "that's obvious.":eusa_doh:

When I told my friend I thought I was agender, he was fine with it, and joked if could call me lollipop. I laughed and agreed but as he left, add "that's Sir lollipop to you" half joking, half serious. Okay secretly completely serious, and I was pretty disappointed when after I said that he sort of awkwardly laughed and left my room....

And for my whole life I've had a phobia of cutting my hair, because when I was little, like 2, my mom got me a pixie cut and my brother didn't recognize me and asked "who's the boy your babysitting?" to my mom.

But now I think the fear is less that I'm worried people won't recognize me, or that I'm afraid to be a boy, as it is that I don't want to be seen as an outsider, and moreover I'm afraid to finally recognize myself.

I think I just went on a complete tangent but, hey... and I'm trying to pry myself from my room at my host families house right now and go to the coiffeurs to get my haircut before I have my group meeting this afternoon... and I've got serious butterflies in my stomach... and keep convincing myself that its abad idea... yet I feel repulsed when I look in the mirror.

#15 Tardis221B, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  16. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Quite a few transgender people note a change in orientation once they become more and more comfortable with their gender.
    So your liking girls might grow into something you feel more and more comfortable with over time, too.

Well you might talk openly about it with him... the feelings you have with male pronouns, for example...

and, well, many people now say being tg is biological... thats in my opinion a socially completely acceptable explanation...

Bonne chance a la coiffeur :wink::slight_smile:

17. Tardis221B

Thanks jay777 (*hug*)

Yeah, I know I should talk to him but it's hard with the distance right now. Also, this is the same friend that I sent the letter to a few weeks back, I still haven't heard anything more than "I saw your message, and I'll read it tonight (Jan 23), I just had a lot of work this first week of class. Have a safe flight." We've chatted since about other things, but not a word on the subject of the letter... I'm just going to leave it be. It seems like it makes him uncomfortable, so I don't want to push it. I've got people online here and a freind on another forum who is supportive, so that helps :slight_smile:

Yeah I've heard that :slight_smile: And it makes sense that its neurological, I wonder what causes it to happen? If its an in-utero developmental stage relating to levels of hormones one is exposed to, or has to do with the chromosomes/DNA, or a mix of the two. The science behind everything fascinates me :slight_smile:

Et merci :wink: I chickened out today, but I'll try again tomorrow.

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its good you have some support :slight_smile: Congratulations on coming out anyways. :slight_smile:
    Well, its possible he needs some time...

http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/DOH-Assets/pdf/doh-transgender-experiences.pdf
    The condition is increasingly understood to have its origins before birth.
    Research studies indicate that small parts of the baby’s brain progress
    along a different pathway from the sex of the rest of its body.
    This predisposes the baby to a future mismatch between gender identity
    and sex appearance.

I read a study saying its not completely understood. It has to do with the timing of triggering or certain hormone levels. They give various possible causes.

Alors... pas de flancher demain... :slight_smile:

What would help you ? A mental image of yourself afterwards ?
    The feeling of something new and exciting ?

I'd say take the time you need :slight_smile:
    And, well, some people do it in stages... but given you're abroad a quick solution might be better :slight_smile:

19. Polka Dots

Tardis
    : I would smile at that, too. Reminds me of when a gal I used to chat with online told me "Oh, if only you were a man!" in response to me virtually tipping my hat to her.

I empathize with this as I get very irked when people make assumptions. I have always checked "female" on forms (reluctantly)... until this morning. I was feeling particularly brave on an online survey and chose "male". I was beaming ear-to-ear, and when the company replied with "We're not interested in hearing from your demographic at this time" I couldn't help but laugh. I'm interested to see if I react as joyfully the next time I try this, too.

Damn, this sounds like me (your reaction to being called "sir" -- heck, I'm even happy when people call me "dude"!). What I've been doing for the past few months is referring to myself with male pronouns when I'm alone, just to see how I react. Maybe you could try the same to see what seems to fit?

I'm afraid of where my own journey will take me too, Tardis -- I think it's only natural to be afraid. I unofficially identified as genderqueer for a while but I never seemed to be satisfied, yet here I am, too terrified to change the gender in my own profile to transmasculine even though all signs seem to lead me to that conclusion.

For example, I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday. He doesn't know about my dysphoria but he told me I act particularly butch** and proceeded to ask "Are you sure you're not just a butch lesbian?" This upset me for two reasons: 1.) I'm attracted to all sexes and gender identities (I do have preferences but so do most bisexuals/pansexuals) and 2.) I've already been through that questioning and no, I'm not lesbian. I don't view the world like the lesbians I've known, or the bisexual girls I've known. Since I was a kid I used the excuse "I'm wired like a boy," and now I find that "excuse" is more "truth" than anything else.

** I act butch, but don't look butch, if that makes any sense. My mannerisms are stereotypically boyish despite my petite frame.

(*hug*)

And Jay777, I know your link wasn't directed towards me but thank you for posting it. Reading that PDF was enlightening.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2015 at 02:27 AM ----------

Also, Tardis -- I forgot to ask: How is your area when it comes to LGBT support? Where I live, there's little-to-none, and I know that only adds to my fear.

#19 Polka Dots, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  20. Tardis221B

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah I'm sure with time it will get better, I'm happy to be patient and wait if that means I get to keep a good friend.

Thats really interesting! :slight_smile: I never knew that, but it makes sense. I wonder if maybe its a mix of the two? I remember reading somewhere that there is a higher number of trans people who are LGBQP, it'd be interesting to see how those connected on a developmental level because, even though they are separate, they do seem to be slightly linked.

As for the haircut... I don't even know... I keep flipping back and forth. The image of myself after wards terrifies me, and the image of myself before depresses me. I'm worried that I'll regret it. But I think I've decided I'm going to donate my hair, and now I have more motivation. And if I end up regretting the look, I know I at least did it for a good cause. (and for my mental health.) I'm thinking Locks of Love, but if anyone knows of a better company, I head Locks has some shady business sometimes....