1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips on how to deal with medical staff

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ctrl alt delete, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I figured I'm more comfortable posting this here than in the health forum.

Basically I'm going to go to an sti clinic tomorrow to have them look at a very minor cosmetic issue. But its inevitably going to involve personal questions and filling out forms on which I'm gonna have to misgender myself. I'm not ashamed of being trans and I don't want to feel like I'm hiding something, especially when someones gonna want to look at my life in an intimate way. :icon_redf So I've decided to be upfront and use the term assigned gender for male etc.

I'm just nervous as hell I'm gonna encounter some transphobic person who's gonna laugh or say something ignorant or hateful. I guess I'm just feeling vulnerable and I could use some love tonight! Is anyone out there? :help:

2. KayJay

Have you been to this place before?

I had never been before and was nervous to go get tested because of the gender thing. I get there and it turns out they have like 8 little boxes with different gender labels and at the bottom they have a blank space to write your own if non of the boxes applied. All of the people there were super cool too.

I'm not saying it'll be like that for sure but I was surprised that way. I really hope everyone there is accepting of who you are. It should be a requirement to be open minded to work in the medical field to be honest. Shame that it isn't.

3. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i haven't and seeing as its in the city and deals with hiv i would say they could be cool. but tbh in ireland u never can tell! medicine and the church have a history together here. i think i'm actually gonna leave it till next week now nyway coz it feels like it's stressing me out to much