1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning myself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by eggsessential, Feb 1, 2015.

1. eggsessential

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and would like some advice. :slight_smile:
    I apologize if this is kinda long to read so brace yourselves for a lot of writing!

I've recently started questioning myself and feel as if I'm in some sort of grey zone. I don't know what I am and I just feel as if something is wrong with me and that I'm not normal.

I've always been more of a tomboy since I was little, I would never wear skirts or dresses, was always out playing sports with the boys and never really had any friends who were girls until the start of high school. I was never into doing the stereotypical female things such as painting your nails, wearing makeup, going shopping, playing with dolls, dressing feminine and other stuff that I still don't feel comfortable doing now.

I used to always wear sports bras and baggy clothes to feel less feminine however I have tried to be girly and wear makeup and pretty clothes but it just doesn't feel like that is me.

I've noticed that I don't have really too much dysphoria, I don't mind looking at my body, it just I feel ugly and weird. I also don't mind female pronouns, and don't seem to have any social dysphoria from what I've read about it.

I've been debating about telling some of my close friends about this. They have asked me a few times if I'm trans or a lesbian and seem pretty trustworthy, though I have had bad cases of people stabbing me in the back after telling them things.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could offer me a bit of advice? I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin sometime and not this something is wrong feeling.

2. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    you sound like you are tran and les but you might not know or think about it. dont stress about this it will come to you in time

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In fact quite a few people try to fulfill or even overfulfill gender roles, until they find out its not what they are...

Its a lot of information, so I'd say take your time...

You might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...9807-figuring-out-my-gender-identity-s.html#4
    and your decision is up to you, you don't have to come to the same conclusion as other people in this thread...

Please remember this is a spectrum, its up to you where you feel comfortable.
    And gender identity and gender expression are different things.

You might play a bit with hairstyle and clothing style... sweaters one or two sizes bigger, unisex or womens jeans, etc... what you feel comfortable with... there are threads on ftm clothing...
    it can be really fun...

And you might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anonymous-gender-identity-expression/149111-am-i-ftm.html#4

You might look up further threads...

I'd say go with your feeling...
    go with your feeling of joy...

You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want... saying you want some counseling...

You might look for support groups, maybe in your local lgbt center...

and build some community on EC, after10 postings you can chat with others via wall messages, after 14 days you can apply for full membership and join the chat...
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/164130-other-trans-friends.html

hugs

4. SkyColours38

There's a pretty cool flowchart here about non-binary identities:
    The Transgender Teen's Survival Guide • NB Flowchart

But if you don't feel like any of that fits, you could simply be a somewhat 'masculine' woman? Gender presentation/expression (e.g. how you like to dress & behave) is separate from gender identity, though they often overlap to a certain extent. Also, sexuality is not related to your own gender at all, so it doesn't matter if you want to prioritise thinking about one of them first. Dunno if that made sense, but it's 3am so :shrug:

5. eggsessential

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I just wanted to thank all of you for posting. It has really helped clear some things up! :slight_smile: