1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not really sure if I'm trans...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by The Odd One, Feb 1, 2015.

1. The Odd One

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've searched for some time across the web for an answer to the apparently straightforward question- Am I Really Trans?- the answer came to be something to the effect of "Transgender-yes. Transsexual- maybe, ask around."
    I found the 8 indirect signs of dysphoria- from what I understand the most vital element of the transgender-transsexual differentiation- I found that practically all of them did indeed apply, most importantly the sense of detachment from my own emotions. This has naturally made the entire process of answering the main question rather tricky since it seems more and more like I cannot give myself a straight answer. I feel that I cannot answer questions regarding my own feelings because they seem to change upon observation and trying to just feel my way to the answer just does not work because I need evidence that points to the answer and "Because I think so" will never be a valid argument.
    I guess what I am asking for is this- are there any more indirect signs of dysphoria or similar semi-concrete items that cannot be attributed to depression or other non-gender related disorders?

I am just not sure because I hear all of these stories about people who regretted transitioning and others who regretted not doing it, both having wanted to at some point and making the wrong decision for them. I am worried that it may be just a phase or some other ridiculous thing since I really have not memory of dysphoric signs as a small child- or anything from that time- and am also worried that I may have just been using it as an excuse to be a semi-normal transperson rather than a depressed, anxious, stressed wreck of an unwilling loner. This is all secondary to the fact that I don't really feel the crushing impact of dysphoria that I keep hearing about- rather I just feel like everything, or at least a great many things in my life would improve, change or turn around if I could do this- like things would just be better somehow and yet the same simultaneously. I am not even sure if I know what I am saying anymore but I do know one thing though- I need help...

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. The Odd One

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you again, Jay! Very helpful as always.
    I was, however hoping for a more concrete answer. While I fall more into the genderqueer category, it just seems too indecisive. Maybe it's just me but I think it's better to have a permanent identity as opposed to one that changes based on how I happen to be feeling on a given day, which can be anything at all on a given day.
    I have already given it a lot of thought but unfortunately I can see both sides to most any argument. I may be transsexual but I don't have dysphoria too bad. I may be genderqueer but I don't really change that often. Cis? Certainly not. Hobby crossdresser? More than that. Drag? Never gone out and too shy. It is absolutely maddening! Nothing at all seems to fit. I honestly wish that I hadn't thought about it so much, maybe then I would actually be able to determine my own identity like everyone else. I'm sorry but just hate that I can't answer a simple question that everyone else seems to be able to respond to so easily.

4. carlyledylan

In the end, it is only you who can decide whether you are trans or not. I reccomnend you try it out and then decide- buy a binder, buy some mens clothing, and go out like that. Be male on the internet. Decide if you like it.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sometimes people around us influence us, we tend to adapt a bit.
    Thus the advice to get a few minutes of rest everyday.

Trying out a few things that can be easily changed could be a help.
    Second hand stores might be a good source for clothing.