1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could a guy go on T and hide it from certain people?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by carlyledylan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. carlyledylan

I really want to go on T so I can get a little more muscular, get a deeper voice, and grow a bit of stubble. I don't want to come out to my parents, though. Hypothetically, if I were to wear makeup and hair extensions and shave when I go see them and talk to them on the phone regularly enough for them to not notice a voice drop, could I just not tell them?

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they'll notice something eventually. Sure, it's possible in the short term, but I don't think it really is in the long term.

3. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's not possible in the long term, because for a couple of months the T can change you a lot. But it might be possible in the short term if your parents don't pay to much attention to your changes. My mother, for example, pays a lot of attention to details and can notice even the smallest change in me, so I wouldn't be able to hide something like this. But if you're parents don't pay to much attention to how you look and sound you might be able to hide it for the first few weeks.

4. earthlvr510

It depends on the person, everyone responds differently. You could most likely hide it for a while but you wouldn't be able to hide it for more than 8 months to a year before they started noticing changes. Me its been about 9 months and I still get misgendered constantly, other people i know were gendered as male after about 3-4 months.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You can't be trans and staying in the closet for long.
    What you can try is tell them you are having some hormonal imbalance (which is not far away from the truth), and your doctor is treating it, which is how I came out, because I was sure that this person would never get the idea of being trans at first, but eventually I ended up telling the truth. You just have to, there is no scape from coming out when you are trans.

Best of luck to you.

6. carlyledylan

How did you go from her thinking you had a hormonal imbalance to knowing you were trans though?

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like others have said, it would be hard to hide it. In the first few months, your body undergoes a lot of changes that in most cases are pretty noticeable. Your voice will begin to change. I cannot really get my voice into my higher range anymore because it has changed so much. So, I don't think that this is your best option.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Him. Just by telling him I never felt like I was supposed to feel when you are born like this.
    Pretty much the 2+2=4 way of coming out, we only had to exchange a few words. Communication has been never a problem between us.

He's still struggling with it, but at least he knows.

I know that coming out is not easy, but being trans leaves you no options.

9. carlyledylan

Ah, sorry, for some reason I thought you said it was your mom? And I' m just so unsure of what to do right now.

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No, you'll change a lot. T is a bit more obvious than E.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's going to be hard to hide the changes if you plan on doing so, especially if you see your family regularly.

12. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Especially since your parents have seen you frequently and have a firm idea of what you look like they will notice if you go on T. And if you don't visit them every few weeks there is the possibility they won't recognize you if they don't know your body is going through changes.

The best you can do is explain why this is right for you and that it is your decision.