1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT and singing??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kyran98, Feb 3, 2015.

1. kyran98

kyran98 Guest

Hi all, my greatest ambition is to work in the West End, as an actor. I have dance training and have trained myself to sing (I'm mezzo-soprano, so my voice has quite a large range) and I spend a lot of time at rehearsals for local shows.

Recently I've been doing some research into going on T and the effects that it has on a person's singing voice and the things I've come across have been negative? They said that their voices had taken on a raspy "broken" tone, and though there are a few trans male singers I've found, they don't sing in the classical style needed for theatre. If it isn't negative I don't have the money to pay for a professional vocal coach/speech therapist, and I'm worried that if I eventually do go on T (I'd really like to) I'd have to sacrifice what's been my dream since I was little when I've worked so hard to get myself to the standard I'm at now.

Do any of you sing and what were your experiences? I don't want to have to choose between the two things that mean a lot to me, in an ideal world.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do a youtube search. I love singing (alto) and was also kinda concerned about what would happen if I ever decide to go on T.

This video was the second link today. I know it's House of the Rising Sun not showtunes, so it's supposed to be kinda raspy, but this guy's got a pretty nice voice! And his isn't the only one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bU_t5hfevE

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My voice was raspy for a bit, but for me this was because my voice was dropping. Once my voice was stabilized, it lost it's raspiness. It would take some work to get used to your new range though.

4. kyran98

kyran98 Guest

Thank you for the reassurance :slight_smile: CJliving, that guy is really good!

5. anonym

anonym Guest

If you search on YouTube, you will find a few trans guys who are singers before t and want to maintain their ability, though their voice will change. Maybe give them a watch and you could even contact them, if their accounts are still active?

6. LezBFriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is a band that i used to listen to all the time name The Cliks. The lead singer is an ftm and he was struggling with deciding to go on T for a while. But he ended up doing the hrt he still sings his heart out! And he also sounds great!

7. kyran98

kyran98 Guest

Thank you! I feel a bit more confident now, and The Cliks are great omg :slight_smile:

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm a singer as well, though luckily my singing voice is already almost just like a cis guy, with a deep range as well. So I don't worry about it.

The main thing is to keep singing while your voice changes. Your range will drop, so yeah, probably won't be able to hit really high notes. But that's what young cis guys going through puberty have to deal with as well.

9. kyran98

kyran98 Guest

That's true!! Yeah, I think to keep practising seems to be key throughout. I understand I won't be able to hit the same notes but I just want to remain in key ahaha :grin:

10. LezBFriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I completely agree!! They are awesome!! I am glad i was able to help!! :icon_bigg