1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to look androgynous (male body)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyberStar, Feb 9, 2015.

1. CyberStar

So, I decided a while ago that since dressing in an all-out feminine style like I really want to wasn't perhaps the most workable idea, I wanted to start presenting myself in an androgynous manner. (It's a step away from masculinity; and I want to stop presenting myself as entirely male and nothing more.) But I have some problems.

First off, I'm not really sure where to start or what would look good on me. I'm a tall scrawny kid (six foot two, 118 pounds, short brown hair, brown eyes, lots of zits, fairly pale skin on my body but a few shades darker on my arms and face, and blue glasses that have kind of big lenses). I'm not 100% sure what would fit for me.

Second, I have to wear a uniform most of the time. School: Khaki pants (navy blue, black, khaki); polo or button-down shirt with no logo (navy blue, baby blue, pink, grey, white); belt; and optional outerwear (cannot have zipper up front more than 3/4 of the way down, must be same colors as shirt, no logos). Then at work: company shirt, apron, jacket (I work at Bi-Lo); khaki pants (shorts in summer if I'm a bagger that day). Is there anything I can do with either of those uniforms (probably can't do anything with work uniform) or am I stuck with just doing stuff with accessories?

That brings up my third question - what can I do with accessories?

And one other thing - is it possible to get away with this but... accentuate it so there is a subtly feminine look to it? Nothing that really stands out, but just something that gives a vague feminine impression. (No more than vague, because I have to get my parents to let me do this, and they don't think I should "go femme". So it has to be subtle.)

Sorry if that was worded awkwardly.

#1 CyberStar, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. KayJay

I can't really think of things to do with your clothing. Maybe someone a bit more creative can help.

You could maybe try really super subtle makeup and stuff. Or paint your nails with a glossy clear coat, that is a bit more on the feminine side without being too obvious. You could also do things more femininely, when you stand rest on a side of your hip (if that makes sense), walk more with one foot in front of the other to make your walk more feminine. Small things like that can all add up but at the same time be quite subtle.

That's kind of all I can think of. I'm sure some others will have more suggestions! :slight_smile:

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe it's stupid but what about wearing a little feminine perfume, or a women's wallet?

4. CyberStar

Okay, so the thing about makeup is that my parents don't want me wearing it. Even though I got away with wearing subtle eye makeup without anybody noticing until I pointed it out. :frowning2:

As for motion and such, I have already been working on it.

I never though t of that... I might give it a try.

5. ANewDawn

I think accessories like jewelry could be an idea. Guys wear it so you could probably pass it off to your parents, but especially earrings would give you a more femme look.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm stumped on as to what you could do about your clothing.

You can make yourself look more androgynous with your hairstyle. Chin length to shoulder length should work. With accessories, try bracelets, necklaces, and rings. Gaelic style jewellery tends to give off a feminine vibe.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Long hair helps.

Also as someone else said, clear nail polish is good. Also long nails.