1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there job complications post transition?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LezBFriends, Feb 9, 2015.

1. LezBFriends

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay so i was thinking last night and a good question came to me. I have a great job and i don't want to stop doing what i do. But if i transition and take a male name how hard would it be to prove your resume?
    I mean would you have to put down and alias? or write your name and next to it write "previously known as ... " lol.
    I guess if anyone has come across this situation before i would really like to hear your story!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've actually been dealing with this same issue. I have everything legally changed now, so I will be using my male name on my resume. I have worked most of my jobs as male now, but I think that the name change could come up in a background check. If they ask, then I will tell. (Although, with my resume having a lot of LGBT stuff on it.. I think that they would get the idea).

Another option too is to say that you do not want to have your previous employer contacted.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only worked at one place since coming out, and I had both my birth and preferred name listed. I had no problem with the name process and everyone at work only knew me by my preferred name. I still haven't changed my legal documents yet, but I hope to change that today.

4. suninthesky

If you have a background check done for any job, you will need to disclose your given name. You have to use your legal name for tax stuff. I'm not sure who sees your previous names on background checks, but oftentimes the only people that will know are those in HR.

5. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to poke fun but wonder if you use the " DBA " and the previous name.

But to the previous posters point if they call previous employers and they knew you as Jane and now your Jim you will have to disclose that.

6. antibinary

Pray you don't get a transphobe.

#6 antibinary, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015