1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might be genderfluid, might be imagining things?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CRRF, Feb 10, 2015.

1. CRRF

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Delurk time.

I'm a college freshman, "born male" or what have you. I've never felt particularly attached to my gender, but neither have I felt an overwhelming sense of wrongness. Certain memories stand out, though. As a very young child, I'm told my favourite colour was pink. Later, it was (still is) purple. I've never had many male friends, and those I do have are tedious to spend time with in comparison to my female friends.

None of that's out of the ordinary, mind. Still, about a month ago, I began thinking deeper about the idea of my own gender and (let the record show I almost ditched the computer here) decided, on a whim I can't expain, that perhaps I was female, at times. After "internally" being female on a few occasions, I was euphoric. It felt, not exactly right, but "relaxed," as if a weight had left me. Maybe. It's fuzzy.

When NOT feeling female, though, I doubt that the experiences were ever real or that there's anything to it save wishful, "special snowflake" thinking. At the current moment, I'm wishing I'd never delved so deeply into my own identity.

2. ANewDawn

Ya I'm kinda wishing I hadn't started questioning my own gender identity either. But if you felt right and comfortable on those occasions when you were internally female, that's a pretty good indicator that you might genderfluid/bigender/two-spirit. And I guess it makes sense that you would feel differently those times when internally you're male.

3. CRRF

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    It's not that I'd mind "being genderfluid," although my family might take issue with my being. It's that I dislike the self doubt and, because I'm autistic, it's very hard for me to know if I'm actually feeling these things or if I'm "making myself" because I have a tendency to obsessively internalise anything I'm exposed to.

What criteria would I need to match to actually be able to tell if I'm genderfluid or the like?

4. CRRF

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    (Hoping double posts aren't frowned upon here)

I'm also noticing a tendency for my identity to "fade into the background," and that it feels like it's not "there" unless I'm thinking about it. Which may mean something or not. It may mean that it's real, or not, I have no idea. Occasionally it seems as if I "remember," or at least my attention returns to, the fact that I'm feeling feminine? Maybe?

5. Thingymajing

Oh my gosh, EVERYTHING you said in your OP, I feel applies to me too, except in reverse genders - I'm a bio female, can't really feel at home with chicks but feel like "one of the guys", always liked "boy stuff" as a child and still do, I always felt I needed to "prove my masculinity" even though I'm "female", I have moods where I act more masculine and others where I act girly, and I dunno if this questioning is imagined, born of my ability to understand my trans friends' feelings 100%, or out of some weird desire to be "different" and worth something. Maybe I am different and want recognition and acceptance for my weirdness. Idk. Maybe I just don't understand gender differences because I don't get on with other girls, see guys as no different to myself, am genderblind as a sexual orientation, and generally feel like my general identity is invisible or easily influenced...

Yay for being confused! Not >_< lol

/returns to lurking quietly

6. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have often wondered .....

Bare with me a second; prior to the 60s it was taboo for a woman to wear pants. Then it became acceptable in the 70s to present day. Our society changed and wonder if it did or was more the norm for a man to go to work in dress or whatever would we discover there are more gender -fluid people.

7. Jazzerrefic22

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Same here, im autistic myself, makes understanding your gender identity very hard. haha. I think of myself as Gender fluid- demi girl- agender. Tons of labels ahhhhh!!! truthfully though, my predominant side is female as im born female. but I do have my male tendencies as my fiancé has told me, and he does see a man sometimes. :slight_smile:

8. CRRF

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    @Jazz- Can you tell me more about how Autism makes exploration of your gender identity difficult? I'm just curious, in general, and because I'm searching for answers myself.

@cdinatl- Interesting concept. I was under the impression that "gender roles≠gender identity," though, so while that correlation may exist, I'd refrain from assuming causation.

That isn't to say that, to some extent, a society in which we were more free to express "cross-gender" feelings and preferences wouldn't lead to a greater prevalence of nonbinary and genderfluid individuals. It probably would, because people with relatively (very) minor NB and Genderfluid identities (probably) suppress themselves in contemporary Western society but would likely express themselves in a more liberal society.

More on-topic: I think I've found a way to express my primary questions.

1: What is requisite for a genderfluid identity?/What defines a genderfluid person?
    2: Could I possibly be "making" myself genderfluid by "delving too deep," "playing with fire," or otherwise implanting unfounded ideas into a brain already quite susceptible to influence (I'm known to emulate people and fictional characters I admire (as are many humans, I'm just (maybe unrealistically) self conscious about the extent to which I do it))?

Sorry for the triple-nested parenthetical.

#8 CRRF, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  9. PanPrideLgbt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say you're fluid. You don't seem to let labels get to you.

10. CRRF

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I accept your advice on principle but am not entirely certain I understand it, and could easily see that same basic reasoning (as I interpret it) applied in the other direction, probably because I "don't get it."