1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissociation? TW: self harm?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by colorful, Feb 12, 2015.

1. colorful

Okay so the other day my friend brought up dissociation as a potential thing that happens when a person has gender dysphoria which like I dunno I feel like I have. Anyway...so...

1. Sometimes I scratch parts of my body until they are like raw...
    2. I use a menstrual cup and I just kind of go through the motions and I have cramps and feel sick and everything, but somehow I feel like what I'm actually doing when I take out my menstrual cup isn't really registering
    3. I have consistently talked about how I don't really feel things or don't react to situations how I should.

I don't really know. I don't know if any of this is related I just kind of keep thinkimg about it.

2. Tardis221B

I don't know if dissociation is or isn't related to dysphoria (I'll look it up later), but I definitely can relate. I don't know if my disassociation is just because I'm super introverted, or if its because I'm trans. But for as long as I can remember I've had the mirror thing, where you don't quite recognize your reflection. Also I don't really connect to my voice, like the sound that comes out when I speak is not what I expect it sound like, its generally worse when my voice is higher.

Also yeah, I feel you on the shark week thing. Sometimes for me when I get really dysphoric I get really dissociative (mostly in social situations when people use words that remind me that I'm viewed as girl, and not who I feel like on the inside). I just shut down, and close off from the world, numbing my feelings and awareness of my surroundings.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I've heard before that dissociation is a symptom of dysphoria. I have it too.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I experience dissociation (or what might be such) quite a bit. Sometimes I'll be talking, but for a brief moment I won't feel like I'm there or within myself--like I'm watching things from a movie screen in a way. I wouldn't be shocked if this was a symptom that comes with dysphoria.