1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking About Hormones to Parents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AsheTheHuman, Feb 13, 2015.

1. AsheTheHuman

Hello everyone, it's me. Sorry I haven't been around much. Anyways, after talking to my gender therapist this week, it sounds like she'll be able to write a letter of recommendation some time next month. However, she'll need to run everything by my parents first. So that's really my question. How should I talk to my parents about this? How do I bring it up, what points should I hit, and in the off chance there's opposition (I don't think there will be, but maybe) what arguments could be made / how do I refute them? The one argument I'm really afraid they may make is this- "Well, we haven't known very long. What if you decide to change back later down the line?" I know the number of people that feel trans for a while but then find out they aren't is a very very small number, but I think I'll need more than just that if the argument does come up. Thanks!

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The change of mind is easy to refute.

Knowing that you've been followed by a gender therapist who studied her domain and truly thinks you are ready to take hormones, it's right to assume that it's not a phase.

Anyway, if you DID decide to go back, the effects of Estrogen are mostly reversible. The only things that are not are the hips and breast tissues, which take some time to develop anyway.

You can also tell them the statistics of trans people going back is really low, so they shouldn't worry too much.

Hope it all goes well for you :wink: