1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about ftm crossdressing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ANewDawn, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ANewDawn

Is wearing two sports bras a safe way to bind if I can't get a legit binder? Also how do u go about buying men's clothes - isn't it weird to walk around the men's section and take those clothes into the dressing room? How do i find guys' pants that fit my hips, and aren't too long since I'm really short?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you wear one sports bra forwards and another backwards, it should be good. Just remember, if it hurts is is probably too tight. You need to be able to breathe comfortably. The good thing with men's jeans is that they are done via waist size and inseam size. So, if you take measurements you should be good to go :slight_smile: I've never had any issues with taking items to the dressing room. If you want to be safe, you could take them to the female dressing room if you are presenting female at the time.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There might be a unisex section. And many people shop for boyfriends. And a lot of people like the style and wear mens clothes regardless.

You could have a look at second hand stores.
    Often its not even sorted by gender.

4. PossumJack

I was nervous the first time I went to shop in the men's section, too. But then I went there and saw several cis women walking around browsing male clothes like nobody's business :lol:

Lots of women shop around in the men's section because they prefer it. What I'm saying is that no one will care at all and I doubt anyone will actually bother to pay attention to you browsing through the men's section.

5. jenben

I was extremely nervous the first few times I went round the men's section. In fact I didn't even buy anything the first few times, just briefly browsed then walked back out. Nobody seemed to pay any attention or be bothered at all that I was there though.

I don't know about the dressing rooms though, since I've only bought underwear so far.

6. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have encountered a lot of stores where there are family dressing rooms. I am pretty sure I don't pass and no one gave me trouble when I shopped in the men's section.

As for fitting, some brands of jeans are pretty loose fitting so they would fit larger hips better.

7. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do the same thing regardless of how I am dressed. If i am dressed as a male and want to buy female clothing. Pick a few things out that you want as a female or you want to look into then place the mens stuff under it. So it would appear your trying on female clothes but you have a few items you want to try on that are male.

But honestly most times I go dressed as a male pick out female clothing and go try them on in the male dressing room to get a little shock and awe.....its fun messing with folks sometimes.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As was discussed in another thread, there isn't truly a Mens section. There's the women's sections and the unisex section is often labeled mens.

9. ANewDawn

Thanks for the responses :slight_smile: gonna try to buy clothes today, hoping I don't loose my nerve or get depressed halfway through.

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :slight_smile: wish you luck.... just go, have fun... concentrate on what you want, not on others :slight_smile:

11. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the hardest things for us to overcome is what others think.
    It took me a few stabs at this to realize; why do I care what people who I don't know think. Once you get over that you can go anywhere do what you want dressed the way you want.

Best of luck!

12. ANewDawn

That was such a fail. I'm 5'1 and 100lb, which makes me too short and skinny for men's pants but too fat for boy's pants. What am i supposed to do?

13. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where did you go?

Have you tried Old Navy? There male clothes seem to be smaller than others.

My dad is 5' 6 but wears like a size 27 inseam he goes and tries on the jeans for the waist and then goes online to buy it to match the waist.

14. Killuwatt

Maybe try looking around different thrift stores with a variety of clothes and see what brands/sizes fit better before looking for them elsewhere?

There's sometimes a "juniors" section in the ladies section (For girls 12-16 I think) with sizes in-between womens' and girls', but I don't know if there's an equivalent for menswear.

This might not be the best option for you but one of my friends is too small for some of the menswear around here (USA) so his mom started buying clothes for him online from a Korean retailer. I'm not sure if there are any clothing manufacturers around here that sell clothes sized this way locally but it might be worth exploring.

@BradTheCat Why is that? By "backwards" do you mean one inside-out above the other one? Or one with the chest panel (sorry awkward wording not sure what to call it) on your back? (Sorry if these are silly questions, just having trouble visualizing)

#14 Killuwatt, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some do, or at least did have a young mens section. Sizing follows the adult pattern, but you would see smaller numbers, such as 26 or 28 for the waist measurement, and possibly down to a 28 inseam. If you need smaller than that, you're firmly in boys sizes, which are just a number up to 20, possibly with the word slim or husky attached. For shirts, also note that a boys 18-20 is typically just a little bigger than a mens S, but not quite as long.

#15 confuzzled82, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  16. Nickinthemiddle

When I first starting going into the men's section again I was nervous, but I saw so many other women in the men's that I really didn't get so nervous anymore. I get the men's clothes but since I still present female, I take them into the women's and nobody has bothered me yet. Now I get the giddy happy feelings of shopping that I always wondered why I never felt that shopping with 'the girls' looking at all the guy's clothes and picking stuff out :slight_smile: I have gone shopping a few times now and am not nervous anymore. I would think just go at your own pace, push yourself a little but not too much :slight_smile: